On October 26, 1985, Joe Dudek broke Walter Payton’s
all-time college football touchdown scoring record at Plymouth
State College’s Currier Field. That evening, Plymouth
State held its first Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Banquet.
Five of the school’s most influential sports personalities
were honored by a special committee with selection as charter
members to the Hall of Fame. The inaugural banquet was a
resounding success, and subsequently the Hall of Fame banquet has
become an annual highlight of the PSU sports calendar.
The PSU Athletics Hall of Fame was established in 1985 to
provide a means to recognize the efforts and achievements of
various athletes, coaches, teams and contributors to Plymouth State
University Athletics while reinforcing a sense of history and
The selection committee meets annually to consider nominations
for induction into the Hall of Fame. The committee consists
of individuals from the University community with a knowledge of
and interest in intercollegiate athletics, including but not
limited to the University’s Athletic Director, Associate
Athletic Director/Senior Woman Administrator, Sports Information
Director, and other members of the University community.
Criteria for Induction
- Individuals to be considered on the basis of undergraduate
athletic achievement must
- be a graduate of PTC, PSC, or PSU
- have a nomination submitted on their behalf
- have waited seven (7) years since completion of their athletic
eligibility and their graduating class.
- have participated for at least two years on one or more varsity
- have represented PSU in a positive fashion both as an
undergraduate and as an alumnus.
- Coaches, administrators and special supporters of PSU Athletics
are also eligible for induction, if they have
- a nomination submitted on their behalf, detailing the special
nature of their contributions to PSU Athletics
- conducted themselves in a fashion such as to bring credit to
Plymouth State, for a minimum of five years.
- Respected Plymouth State University alumni who bring
favor to their alma mater by achieving success in their areas
relating to athletics as alumni are eligible for induction
consideration seven (7) years after their graduation, providing
that the selection committee receives appropriate nominations
detailing the candidates achievements as alumni.
- Deceased contributors to PSU Athletics are eligible for
- Persons currently coaching or on staff at Plymouth State
University will not be considered if the primary rationale for that
consideration revolves around their coaching accomplishments while
- An athletic team shall be eligible for induction as a unit, and
shall not prohibit the separate induction of one or more of its
members. If a team is inducted, the Hall of Fame committee
shall select a representative to accept the award.