Plymouth State University
Athletic Department Philosophy Statement
NCAA Division III Philosophy Statement
Colleges and universities in Division III place highest priority on the overall quality of the educational experience and on the successful completion of all students’ academic programs. They seek to establish and maintain an environment in which a student-athlete’s athletics activities are conducted as an integral part of the student-athlete’s educational experience. They also seek to establish and maintain an environment that values cultural diversity and gender equity among their student-athletes and athletics staff.
To achieve this end, Division III institutions:
- Place special importance on the impact of athletics on the participants rather than on the spectators and place greater emphasis on the internal constituency (students, alumni, institutional personnel) than on the general public and its entertainment needs;
- Award no athletically related financial aid to any student;
- Encourage the development of sportsmanship and positive societal attitudes in all constituents, including student-athletes, coaches, administrative personnel and spectators;
- Encourage participation by maximizing the number and variety of athletics opportunities for their students;
- Assure that the actions of coaches and administrators exhibit fairness, openness and honesty in their relationships with student-athletes;
- Assure that athletics participants are not treated differently from other members of the student body;
- Assure that athletics programs support the institution’s educational mission by financing, staffing, and controlling the programs through the same general procedures as other departments of the institution;
- Provide equitable athletics opportunities for males and females and give equal emphasis to men’s and women’s sports;
- Support ethnic and gender diversity for all constituents;
- Give primary emphasis to regional in-season competition and conference championships; and
- Support student-athletes in their efforts to reach high levels of athletics performance, which may include opportunities for participation in national championships, by providing all teams with adequate facilities, competent coaching, and appropriate competitive opportunities.
The purpose of the NCAA is to assist its members in developing the basis for consistent, equitable competition while minimizing infringement on the freedom of individual institutions to determine their own special objectives and programs. The above statement articulates principles that represent a commitment to Division III membership and shall serve as a guide for the preparation of legislation by the division and for planning and implementation of programs by institutions and conferences.
- Offering positive role models of coaching excellence,
- Offering programs that promote the ideals of equal opportunity,
- Providing an important lab experience, particularly for students preparing to become teachers and coaches,
- Establishing an environment for developing school spirit and pride in being a Plymouth State University student in addition to helping to unify the student body and to promote social harmony on campus,
- Promoting and stimulating health and fitness,
- Promoting an environment that demands integrity and honesty on all levels of participation,
- Offering a positive experience for all participants: student-athletes, coaches, student and professional support staff, and spectators,
- Establishing an important means for promoting the college and enhancing the image of Plymouth State University.