Sampson takes loss after five strong innings on the mound
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Augustana College (Illinois) erupted for seven runs in the sixth inning Saturday evening as the 20th-ranked Vikings came back to defeat Plymouth State University, 11-3, in PSU's first game at the Gene Cusic Classic.
Sophomore Mike Powers (Westmont, Ill.) went seven strong innings and senior Mitchel Ruh (Big Rock, Ill.) had three hits and four RBI as Augustana won its seventh straight game.
Sophomore David Sampson (Bellingham, Mass.) was outstanding for PSU for five scoreless innings before tiring in the sixth. He allowed just three singles through five frames, but departed with the loss after giving up five hits and six runs (five earned) in the sixth.
PSU is now 0-2 on the season while Augustana is now 11-1.
NCAA College Baseball
at Gene Cusic Classic, Fort Myers, Fla. – Saturday, March 18, 2017
#20 Augustana (Ill.) 11, Plymouth State 3
Records: Plymouth State 0-2; Augustana 11-1
* Plymouth State jumped on top with two runs in the bottom of the first inning. Sophomore Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) singled, and senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) followed with an RBI double to left. Garnett then stole third and scored on a throwing error to put PSU up 2-0.That would be all the Panthers would get off Powers the rest of the game.
* Sampson cruised through five shutout innings before the Vikings exploded for seven in the sixth. Sophomore Ryan Kairis (Chicago, Ill.) and junior Tyler Nunez (Byron, Ill.) started the inning with consecutive singles to left. Junior Carter Amundsen (Sheboygan, Wis.) reached on an error to load the bases and Ruh knocked them all in with a double to left. Seniors Cayton Wallace (Rock Island, Ill.) and Peter Doughty (Elmhurst, Ill.) and sophomore Nick Mosele (Bloomington, Ill.) each added RBI singles in the frame.
* After Augustana plated four more runs in the top of the seventh inning, PSU added a run in the bottom half of the inning. Senior Eric Leitch (Lanesboro, Mass.) reached on an error, went to third on a double by sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.), and scored on an infield grounder by Goulet.
* Goulet and freshman Ryan Boldwin (Manchester, N.H./Trinity) had two hits each to lead the Panther offense.
* The Panther are right back into action Sunday in the tournament, facing Vassar College in a doubleheader beginning at 9:00 a.m.
-- 30 --