Garnett leads Panthers to first two wins of season
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) had five hits, including four for extra bases, and drove in five runs Sunday morning to lead Plymouth State University to a baseball doubleheader sweep of Vassar College, 10-5 and 10-0, at the Gene Cusic Classic.
Garnett went 3-for-3 with two doubles and three runs batted in in the first game, and followed with a 2-for-4 performance in the second game with a double, triple and two RBI. He helped the Panthers to their first two wins of the season, evening their record at 2-2 overall.
Three PSU pitchers combined to blank the Brewers in game two. Sophomore transfer Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) started and got the win (1-0), allowing just four hits and three walks over five innings, striking out six. Junior Ryan Perro (Glen Head, N.Y.) and freshman Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) pitched one scoreless inning of relief each.
NCAA College Baseball
at Gene Cusic Classic, Fort Myers, Fla. – Sunday, March 19, 2017
Plymouth State 10, Vassar 5
Plymouth State 10, Vassar 0
Records: Plymouth State 2-2; Vassar 3-5
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Plymouth State took a 2-0 lead in the first inning on a two-run double by freshman Ryan Boldwin (Manchester, N.H./Trinity). He drove in Garnett, who had doubled, and senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.), who walked. Vassar battled back to tie the game with solo runs in the third and fourth innings.
* PSU took the lead for good with four runs in the fifth inning. After a single by senior Eric Leitch (Lanesboro, Mass.) and walks to sophomores Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) and Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) loaded the bases, Leitch came home on a wild pitch and Garnett followed with a two-run double to right center. Junior Nate Frederick (Worcester, Mass.) capped the rally with a single through the left side to drive in Garnett.
* Vassar came back with three runs in the top of the sixth to cut the margin to 6-5, but PSU answered with four more in the last half of the inning. Garnett had an RBI single, Goulet and Garnett scored runs on wild pitches, and Boldwin came home on a passed ball.
* Frederick and Leitch finished with two hits apiece for PSU, and Boldwin drove in two.
* Junior Taylor Doyle (Peterborough, N.H.) earned the win for PSU, pitching 5.1 innings and striking out three. Junior Brady Larson (Brunswick, Maine) came in and picked off a runner and retired four straight batters to end the game, striking out two.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* PSU took another early lead with four runs in the first inning. After the first two hitters drew walks, Krajewski drove in a run with a single through the right side. Krajewski and Goulet pulled off a double steal, with Goulet scoring, and Frederick drove in Krajewski with a single to left. Junior Cam Ruziak (Sterling, Mass.) capped the rally with a triple to right to score Frederick.
* Leitch tripled to right center field to lead off the second inning and scored in Richard's single to right. Goulet's sacrifice fly capped a two-run rally in the fourth inning, and Ruziak brought home another run in the fifth with an infield groundout. PSU rounded out the scoring in the sixth on Garnett's two-run double to right center.
* The Panther are right back into action Monday in the tournament, facing St. Joseph's College (L.I.) in a doubleheader beginning at 9:00 a.m.
-- 30 --