Goulet leads Panthers to walk-off win in game one
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Sophomore Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) delivered an RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning Monday morning as the Plymouth State University baseball team won the first game of a doubleheader against Saint Joseph's College of Long Island, 4-3, at the Gene Cusic Classic.
The Golden Eagles came back to take the second game, 6-3, as Dennis McAllister had three hits and three RBI. Junior Nate Frederick (Worcester, Mass.) led the Panther offense with a pair of hits, including a double.
Plymouth State remained at the .500 mark on the season at 3-3, while St. Joseph's is now 4-3.
NCAA College Baseball
at Gene Cusic Classic, Fort Myers, Fla. – Monday, March 20, 2017
Plymouth State 4, St. Joseph's (L.I.) 3
St. Joseph's (L.I.) 6, Plymouth State 3
Records: Plymouth State 3-3; St. Joseph's (L.I.) 4-3
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* It was a 3-3 game after just an inning and a half. Dylan Piscitelli gave the Golden Eagles a 2-0 lead in the top of the first with a two-run single through the right side. PSU answered in the bottom of the first with a three-run rally, which started when sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) led off with a triple to center field and Goulet brought him home with a single to left. Three walks and a wild pitch in the inning led to two more Panther runs.
* Anthony Bonilla doubled to left in the second inning to tie the score at 3-3, and it stayed that way until PSU's game-winning rally in the seventh.
* Senior Eric Leitch (Lanesboro, Mass.) led off the Panther seventh with a walk. Richard advanced Leitch to second with an infield grounder, and Goulet ended the game with his walk-off hit to left. Goulet finished the game with three hits and two RBI.
* Sophomore Dylan Gaita (Melrose, Mass.) earned the complete-game victory (1-0) for PSU, allowing three runs on seven hits and one walk while fanning seven.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* McAllister's RBI single in the bottom of the first put St. Joseph's on the board, and PSU answered in the top of the second with a run of its own on a hit batter.
* After St. Joseph's took a 3-1 lead in the last of the third inning, PSU answered again with two runs in the top of the fourth. Leitch delivered an RBI single and Richard plated a run with a sacrifice fly.
* The Golden Eagles pulled away with single runs in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings.
* After a day off on Tuesday, the Panthers return to action on Wednesday in Fort Myers with a 9:00 a.m. contest against Saint Lawrence University.
-- 30 --