Late Panther rally falls short; Leitch, Frederick with three hits each
FORT MYERS, Fla. – St. Lawrence University and Plymouth State University traded late-inning rallies Wednesday afternoon, but the Saint outlasted the Panthers, 9-8, in a college baseball game at the Gene Cusic Classic.
St. Lawrence plated four runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to extend its lead to 9-3, and Plymouth State answered with five runs in the top of the eighth to cut the margin to 9-8. The Panthers put the tying run in scoring position in both the eighth and ninth innings but couldn't push the run across the plate.
NCAA College Baseball
at Gene Cusic Classic, Fort Myers, Fla. – Wednesday, March 22, 2017
St. Lawrence 9, Plymouth State 8
Records: Plymouth State 3-4; St. Lawrence 3-4
* After St. Lawrence took a 1-0 lead in the first inning on a sacrifice fly, PSU answered with three runs in the top of the second. Freshman Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) and Leitch had RBI singles and junior Cam Ruziak (Sterling, Mass.) scored on an error.
* St. Lawrence came back to take the lead with four runs in the last of the fourth. Brendon Frank had an RBI single, Evan O'Keeffe brought home a run with a sacrifice fly, and Beau Yaremko delivered a two-run single.
* The Saints added four more runs in the seventh. Michael LeFevre led off with a home run; Adam Reichel tripled and scored on a sac fly by Devon Robson; Erik Larsen tripled home a run and scored on a single by Yaremko.
* PSU made a comeback attempt with a five-run eighth inning. Senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) drove in the first run with a sacrifice fly. Four St. Lawrence errors and two walk contributed to four more runs, but PSU stranded the tying run at second base.
* Sam Downes earned the win (1-0) in relief for St. Lawrence, and Louis LaCivita recorded his first save.
* Senior Dallas Defrancesco (Meriden, Conn.) started for PSU and took the loss (0-1).
* The Panthers return to action on Thursday in Fort Myers with a 12 noon contest against Johns Hopkins University.
-- 30 --