Panthers pull out win in bottom of ninth on bases-loaded walk
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Junior Nate Frederick (Worcester, Mass.) drew a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth inning Thursday afternoon, bringing home the winning run for Plymouth State University in a 4-3 victory over #13-ranked Johns Hopkins University in a college baseball game at the Gene Cusic Classic.
PSU tied the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the eighth on a bases-loaded single through the right side by junior Cam Ruziak (Sterling, Mass.). The Panthers pulled out the win in the ninth when sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) led off with a single up the middle, was sacrificed to second, went to third on a wild pitch, and scored on Frederick's walk.
PSU evens its record at 4-4, while Johns Hopkins drops to 12-4.
NCAA College Baseball
at Gene Cusic Classic, Fort Myers, Fla. – Thursday, March 23, 2017
Plymouth State 4, Johns Hopkins 3
Records: Plymouth State 4-4; Johns Hopkins 12-4
* Richard, Frederick and Ruziak each had two hits for the Panthers. Richard had a triple and scored two runs and Ruziak drove in a pair.
* Sophomore David Sampson (Bellingham, Mass.) had an outstanding start on the mound for PSU, going eight innings and allowing just three runs (two earned) on six hits and three walks. He struck out eight batters, a season-high and second-most in a game in his career.
* Junior Taylor Doyle (Peterborough, N.H.) earned the win (2-0) in relief, pitching a perfect ninth inning in a 3-3 game.
* After three scoreless innings, Hopkins broke on the board with an unearned run in the top of the fourth inning, as Conor Reynolds walked, went to second on an infield grounder, and came all the way around to score on an infield error.
* PSU answered in the bottom of the inning when Frederick led off with an infield single and scored on Ruziak's double to right. The Panthers took the lead an inning later when Richard led off with a triple to left center and scored on an infield grounder by senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.).
* Johns Hopkins regained the lead with two runs in the top of the sixth inning on a two-run single by Ryan Orgielewicz.
* PSU senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) started the PSU rally in the eighth inning with a single up the middle. Pinch runner Luke Mancini (Scotia, N.Y.) went to second when Frederick reached on an error, and after a fielder's choice and a walk, Ruziak singled in Mancini with the tying run.
* The Panthers return to action on Friday in Fort Myers with a doubleheader vs. Colby College, with the first game beginning at 10:00 a.m.