Gaita, Kayo post strong pitching performances for Panthers
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Sophomores Dylan Gaita (Melrose, Mass.) and Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) turned in strong complete-game pitching performances Friday as Plymouth State University swept a non-conference baseball doubleheader from Colby College, 4-3 and 1-0, at the Gene Cusic Classic.
Gaita was superb in the nightcap, allowing just one hit and no walks over seven innings, fanning six batters. He gave up a single to the second batter he faced, Ryder Arsenault, but he was erased on a double play and Gaita retired all but one batter the rest of the way, a second-inning error allowing the only other baserunner. PSU scored the only run of the game on a third-inning RBI single by sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.)
Kayo allowed just three runs (none earned) on four hits and two walks in seven innings of work in the opener, striking out six to improve his record to 2-0 on the season. Junior Nate Frederick (Worcester, Mass.) highlighted the offense in the game with his first home run of the season.
NCAA College Baseball
at Gene Cusic Classic, Fort Myers, Fla. – Sunday, March 19, 2017
Plymouth State 4, Colby 3
Plymouth State 1, Colby 0
Records: Plymouth State 6-4; Colby 3-7
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* The teams traded runs in the second inning, Ryan Quinn driving home a run for Colby and Frederick homering for PSU.
* Colby took a 2-1 lead in the top of the fourth on a sacrifice fly by Matt Treveloni, but PSU answered again, this time with three runs in the bottom of the inning. Ruziak and Richard delivered RBI singles and Ruziak scored on a Colby throwing error.
* The Mules pulled to within a run in the seventh inning on a sacrifice fly by Arsenault, but Kayo shut the door to improve his record to 2-0.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* There were just three hits in the entire game, one by Colby and two by Plymouth State off Mules' pitchers. Starter Bobby Forese took the loss (0-2) despite allowing just one hit and one unearned run in six innings.
* PSU scored the only run of the game in the top of the third, as freshman Andrew Salta (Lacona, N.H.) reached base on an error. He moved into scoring position on an infield grounder, and scored on Richard's RBI single.
* The Panthers wrap up the Florida trip on Saturday in a rematch against #16-ranked Johns Hopkins at 9 a.m. PSU upset the Blue Jays on Thursday, 4-3.
-- 30 --