Panthers post 6-4 record on visit to Sunshine State
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Plymouth State University baseball team wound up its 10-game trip to the Gene Cusic Classic in Florida Saturday morning with a 5-4 loss to #13-ranked Johns Hopkins University at Terry Park.
PSU rallied with two runs in the top of the ninth to pull to within a run, as sophomore Matt DeCina (Hopkinton, Mass.) singled home a run and freshman Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) scored on an error. The Panthers had two more runners on base in the ninth, with the tying run in scoring position, but Nick Burns struck out senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) looking to close out the victory.
PSU finished the week with a 6-4 record in the Sunshine State and a 6-5 overall record. Johns Hopkins improves its record to 13-5. PSU edged Hopkins in Thursday's game, 4-3.
NCAA College Baseball
at Gene Cusic Classic, Fort Myers, Fla. – Saturday, March 25, 2017
Johns Hopkins 5, Plymouth State 4
Records: Plymouth State 6-5; Johns Hopkins 13-5
* Frederick and Salta had two hits apiece, and Frederick, DeCina and junior Cam Ruziak (Sterling, Mass.) each drove in a run.
* Junior Taylor Doyle (Peterborough, N.H.) started on the mound and took the loss (2-0), working five innings and giving up three runs while striking out five. Freshman Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) had a solid relief stint, allowing just one hit in two scoreless innings, fanning two.
* Hopkins put up a run in the bottom of the first inning on an RBI single by Joe Conlon, and added another run in the fifth on an RBI single by Dillon Bowman.
* PSU tied the game in the top of the sixth with two runs. Garnett led off with a double, and came home on Frederick's single to left, and after a balk, Frederick scored on Ruziak's single to left.
* Hopkins took the lead back in the bottom half of the inning on back to back hits by Conlon and Brian Lin, and tacked on an insurance run in the seventh on Mike Eberle's RBI double to left.
* Ruziak reached on an error to start PSU's ninth-inning rally, and Salta followed with a single to right. DeCina brought in Ruziak with a single to left, and Salta scored when Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) reached on an error. But Burns came on to close out the win for the Blue Jays.
* The Panthers return to New England, and are scheduled to play its annual game at Babson College at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 30, weather and field conditions permitting.
-- 30 --