Richard, Gaita, DeFrancesco lead Panthers to whitewash
BABSON PARK, Mass. – Sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) went 3-for-5 with four runs scored and classmate Dylan Gaita (Melrose, Mass.) tossed seven shutout innings as visiting Plymouth State University shut out Babson College, 7-0, in non-conference baseball action on Thursday afternoon at Govoni Field.
Babson, which lost for just the second time in seven games, falls to 7-6 on the year, while Plymouth State improves to 7-5 with its fourth victory in five outings.
Senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) went 2-for-2 with an RBI and a run scored for the Panthers. Gaita struck out six while giving up four hits and five walks to move to 3-0 on the year. Panthers' senior reliever Dallas DeFrancesco (Meriden, Conn.) pitched two scoreless innings to preserve the shutout.
NCAA College Baseball
at Babson Field, Babson Park, Mass. – Thursday, March 30, 2017
Plymouth State 7, Babson 0
Records: Plymouth State 7-5; Babson 7-6
* Richard scored on a double steal in the first, junior Cam Ruziak (Sterling, Mass.) added to the lead with an RBI double in the second, and Garnett singled home Richard and later scored on an error to give Plymouth State a 4-0 lead in the top of the third. The Panthers extended the margin to five in the fifth when Garnett drove in Richard again with a base hit through the left side.
* Plymouth State's final blow came in the seventh when senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) drove in a two more runs with a one-out single to the gap in left center to make it 7-0.
* Babson stranded a pair of runners in the first and was unable to take advantage of back-to-back walks Harrington and McHale to start the bottom of the fifth. Halpin singled and Arena walked with one out in the seventh and moved to second and third on an error, but DeFrancesco induced an infield pop up to escape the jam.
* Freshman Michael Nocchi (Manasquan, N.J.) suffered the loss to fall to 1-1 on the year for Babson after giving up three earned runs on four hits in three innings.
* The Beavers are now 5-5 all-time against Plymouth State.
* Babson was held without an extra-base hit for the first time this season and just the third time in 28 outings going back to last season.
* Plymouth State visits Eastern Connecticut State on Sunday for the Little East Conference opener beginning at 12 p.m., while Babson is scheduled to host Johnson & Wales on Friday at 3 p.m.
-- 30 --