13-run ninth inning powers Panthers in nightcap
MANSFIELD, Conn. – The Plymouth State University baseball team scored 13 runs in the ninth inning Sunday afternoon to pull out a 16-7 victory over Eastern Connecticut State University in game two of the first Little East Conference doubleheader of the season, earning a split on the afternoon at the ECSU Baseball Stadium.
The Warriors, ranked third in New England, had the upper hand in the first game, taking a 10-0 victory in seven innings as sophomore righty Jordan Muchin (West Hartford, Conn.) struck out 13 batters on the way to tossing the 12th no-hitter in Eastern Connecticut history. The doubleheader split leaves PSU with an 8-6 overall record (1-1 LEC), while Eastern moves to 9-4 overall (1-1 LEC).
Sophomore Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) and junior Cam Ruziak (Sterling, Mass.) each had two hits and four RBI in the second game to lead PSU. Goulet collected three RBI in the ninth inning on a pair of singles and Ruziak drove in two in the ninth with an RBI single and a bases-loaded walk.
NCAA College Baseball – Little East Conference
at Mansfield Outdoor Complex, Mansfield, Conn. – Sunday, April 2, 2017
Eastern Connecticut 10, Plymouth State 0 (7 innings)
Plymouth State 16, Eastern Connecticut 4
Records: Plymouth State 8-6 (1-1 LEC); Eastern Connecticut 9-4 (1-1 LEC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Only three Panthers managed to reach base, all on walks – freshman Ryan Boldwin (Manchester, N.H./Trinty) in the second, junior Nate Frederick (Worcester, Mass.) in the fifth, and sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) in the sixth.
* The no-hitter by Muchin (2-1) was the first in 12 years for Eastern. He walked three in facing only three over the 21-batter minimum. Muchin struck out the side in the second and two batters each in the third, fourth, sixth and seventh.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* Goulet and Ruziak also highlighted a three-run inning in the second, Goulet bringing home a run on a fielder's choice and Ruziak with a two-run single.
* PSU wiped out a four-run deficit by scoring 13 runs in the top of the ninth on six hits, two errors, a balk, three walks and four hit batters.
* The Panther sent 18 batters to the plate in the inning, with eight different players collecting at least one RBI. In addition to Goulet and Ruziak, who had RBIs in both of their at bats in the inning, Richard brought home runs on a hit by pitch and a fielder's choice.
* Freshman Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) recorded the win in relief for PSU, pitching three innings and allowing just one run on three hits, striking out two. Junior Ryan Perro (Glen Head, N.Y.) had a solid start, allowing just two earned runs in six innings, striking out four.
* The PSU's scheduled game on Monday at Saint Joseph's College in Maine has been postponed. The Panthers hope to get back on the diamond Wednesday at Albertus Magnus College in New Haven, Conn., with a doubleheader beginning at 3:30 p.m.
-- 30 --