Panthers rally from six-run deficit to pull out win
RINDGE, N.H. – The Plymouth State University baseball team rallied from a 9-3 deficit Monday evening and came back to defeat Framingham State University, 14-9, in a non-conference game played at Franklin Pierce University's Pappas Field.
PSU battle back to tie the game at 9-9 in the seventh inning, and tacked on five runs in the bottom of the eighth to secure the victory. PSU improved to 10-7 overall while Framingham State drops to 12-11. The teams split the season series as FSU won earlier this year, 3-1.
Senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) drove in four runs to lead the Panthers, while junior Nate Frederick (Worcester, Mass.) and senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) had three hits apiece and combined for five RBI, with Frederick hitting a home run. Junior Mitch Sytulek (Raymond, N.H.) also hit his first home run of the season.
NCAA College Baseball –
at Pappas Field (Franklin Pierce), Rindge, N.H. – Monday, April 10, 2017
Plymouth State 14, Framingham State 9
Records: Plymouth State 10-7; Framingham State 12-11
* The Rams scored runs in four straight innings early in the game to take a 9-3 lead in the middle of the fifth inning. PSU started its comeback in the bottom of the fifth on Sytulek's two-run homer to center, and added Frederick added another run in the sixth on a blast over the left center field fence.
* PSU tied the game with three runs in the seventh. Krajewski drove in two runs with a single to center and then scored on Frederick's double to left.
* Krajewski was issued a bases-loaded walk to start the scoring in the game-deciding Panther eighth inning. Frederick knocked in a run with an infield single and another run scored on an error, and freshman Ryan Boldwin (Manchester, N.H./Trinty) capped the rally with a two-run double to right center.
* PSU junior Taylor Doyle (Peterborough, N.H.) earned the win (3-1) in relief for PSU, pitching an inning-and-two-thirds scoreless innings, allowing only two walks while striking out three. Senior Connor MacRae (Newburyport, Mass.) started and went four innings, allowing three earned runs and striking out eight in a no-decision.
* PSU returns to the diamond on Wednesday with a non-conference game at Salem State University (3:30 p.m.)
-- 30 --