Panthers muster just 10 hits in conference twin bill
DARTMOUTH, Mass. – The Plymouth State University baseball team couldn't match up to the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Saturday afternoon, dropping a Little East Conference doubleheader to the Corsairs, 3-0 and 9-2, at the UMD Baseball Stadium.
Senior Sean Callahan limited the Panthers to four hits over eight innings in the opener, before Banjamin Lodge came on to close out the win and complete the shutout. The Corsairs then erupted for six runs in the top of the first inning of the nightcap and went on to sweep the twin bill.
The outcome leaves Plymouth State with a 10-10 overall record and a 2-4 mark in the Little East. UMass Dartmouth is now 16-11 and alone in second place in the LEC with a 5-1 record. The games were originally scheduled to be played in Plymouth, so the Panthers batted as the home team in both contests.
NCAA College Baseball – Little East Conference
at UMass Dartmouth Baseball Stadium, Dartmouth, Mass. – Saturday, April 15, 2017
UMass Dartmouth 3, Plymouth State 0
UMass Dartmouth 9, Plymouth State 2
Records: Plymouth State 10-10 (2-4 LEC); UMass Dartmouth 16-11 (5-1 LEC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Callahan scattered four hits over eight innings without walking a batter and fanning seven, posting his first win of the season (1-2), and Lodge earned his first save.
* UMD got the only run it needed in the third inning on an RBI single by Erick Ramirez. The Corsairs added an insurance run in the fourth on an RBI groundout by Mac Curran, and tacked on another run in the eighth on a wild pitch.
* PSU left seven runners on base, including three in the first inning and two in the eighth.
* Sophomore David Sampson (Bellingham, Mass.) was a tough-luck loser for PSU after a strong start. He went eight innings and allowed just two earned runs on seven hits, striking out six.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* Junior Mitch Sytulek (Raymond, N.H.) and sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) each had two hits, including a double, combining for four of PSU's six hits. Senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) had an RBI double in the first inning, and Sytulek had an RBI double in the seventh.
* Taylor Cacciola and Nate Tellier each had two-run singles to highlight the UMD six-run first inning. Kenny Michael and Mac Curran also had RBI singles.
* Doyle Collett improved his record to 4-0 for UMD, allowing just three hits and one earned run in 6.2 innings, while striking out five. Junior Taylor Doyle (Peterborough, N.H.) started and went four innings for PSU and took the loss.
* PSU gets back into action Monday in a non-conference make-up game at Saint Joseph's College (Maine).
-- 30 --