Ninth-inning home run downs Panthers
STANDISH, Maine – Senior designated hitter Jameson Collins (Sandown, N.H.) hit a walk-off two-run homer Monday afternoon to lift Saint Joseph's College past Plymouth State University, 6-5, in a non-conference baseball game at Larry Mahaney Diamond.
Plymouth State rallied from a 4-0 deficit to tie the game in the sixth inning and take a 5-4 lead in the eighth, but senior Dennis Meehan (Gardiner, Maine) hit a lead-off single in the bottom of the ninth to set the stage for Collin's game-winning blow. Saint Joseph's College, ranked fourth in New England, improves to 21-4 while Plymouth State drops to 10-11.
NCAA College Baseball –
at Mahaney Diamond, Standish, Maine – Monday, April 17, 2017
Saint Joseph's (Maine) 6, Plymouth State 5
Records: Plymouth State 10-11; Saint Joseph's 21-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Saint Joseph's built a 4-0 advantage off four hits, including a bases-clearing double by freshman Ben Gravel (Rochester, N.H.), and a Plymouth State error in the bottom of the second, but the Panthers went on to tie the game with four runs off three hits and five walks in the top of the sixth. Seniors James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) and Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) both drew bases-loaded walks and sophomore Ryan Boldwin (Manchester, N.H.) singled home a run.
ON THE MOUND
* Saint Joseph's freshman starter Matt Demma (Worcester, Mass.) was outstanding in five innings of work, fanning 10 batters while allowing a hit and a walk in his second start of the season. Neither sophomore Grayson Jennings (Mililani, Hawaii) nor junior Marc Poirier (Lunenburg, Mass.) recorded an out while allowing four runs off four walks and a hit in the sixth before junior lefthander Josh Partridge (Deerfield, N.H.) entered the game and tossed four strong innings, allowing a run off seven hits and a walk with four K's, to pick up the win and improve to 5-0 on the year.
* PSU junior starter Cam Cossette (Milford, Mass.) allowed four runs off seven hits and two walks with five punch-outs over six innings, and senior reliever Connor MacRae (Newburyport, Mass.) yielded one run off two hits and a walk with two strikeouts in two frames or work. Freshman Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) took the loss (1-1) after giving up the Collins long ball in the ninth.
OFF THE BAT – SAINT JOSEPH'S
· Collins went 2-5 with two runs, his fifth home run of the year, and a pair of RBI
· Gravel was 2-4 with a run, a double, and three RBI
· Junior center fielder Chris Gerossie (Chester, N.H.) went 2-2 with a stolen base and an RBI
· Black was 1-3 with a pair of sacrifice bunts
OFF THE BAT – PLYMOUTH STATE
· Sophomore center fielder Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) was 2-4 with a run and a stolen base
· Ruziak went 2-4 with a run and a double, and Boldwin added two hits and an RBI in five trips to the plate
Saint Joseph's improves to 19-14 in the history of the series with Plymouth State University. The last time these teams met prior to today was on April 1st, 2007 when the Monks and Panthers split a doubleheader at Mahaney Diamond.
Both teams are back in action Tuesday, as Saint Joseph's hosts Endicott College at 4:00 p.m. and Plymouth State plays at Keene State College in a Little East Conference (LEC) tilt s at 3:30 p.m.
(Courtesy of Saint Joseph's Sports Information)
-- 30 --