Krajewski, Garnett, Boldwin backbone Panthers in non-conference win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Plymouth State University baseball team pounded out 18 hits and scored 20 runs Sunday afternoon, defeating New England College 20-5 in a non-conference baseball game at Panther Park.
Senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) belted two home runs and drove in four, senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) had three hits, including two doubles, and knocked in five runs, and junior Ryan Boldwin (Mancheste, N.H./Trinity) added three hits with a homer and four RBI.
Krajewski capped an outstanding week for the Panthers as he hit five home runs in the last five games with 13 runs batted in.
PSU gets back to the .500 mark on the season with a 13-13 record, while NEC drops to 14-18.
NCAA College Baseball – Non-Conference
at Panther Park, Plymouth, N.H. – Sunday, April 23, 2017
Plymouth State 20, New England College 5
Records: Plymouth State 13-13; New England College 22-7 (9-0 LEC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Krajewski's first home run of the day to right field in the fourth inning led to a 4-0 lead for PSU through four innings. Panther starter Connor MacRae (Newburyport, Mass.), who held NEC scoreless through four, tired in the fifth inning and the Pilgrims pushed five runs across the plate to take a 5-4 lead. Manuel Alejandro brought in the first run with a sacrifice bunt, and Andrew Castano and Evan Delaney added two-run singles each.
* PSU put the game away with four runs in each of the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth innings. Krajewski's second home run highlighted the fifth inning rally; a two-run single by Garnett sparked the sixth inning rally; a two-run double by Garnett and a two-run homer by Boldwin was the seventh-inning rally; and Boldwin's two-run single in the eighth capped the scoring.
* Sophomore Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) also had two hits and scored four runs for PSU.
* Freshman Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) earned the win for PSU with 2.2 innings of scoreless relief, allowing just two hits and three walks while striking out two. Sophomore Alex Libby (Freeport, Maine) and junior Kyle McCarthy (Nashua, N.H.) each pitched a scoreless one-inning stint.
* NEC used seven pitchers in the slugfest. Raymond Rosado started and allowed four runs in 3.1 innings, and took the loss.
* PSU continues its five-game home stand Monday with a non-conference home game vs. Bates College (4 p.m.) NEC returns home to host Colby-Sawyer College in a North Atlantic Conference doubleheader Monday at 2 p.m.
-- 30 --