Garnett leads Panthers to non-conference sweep
MIDDLEBURY, N.H. – The Plymouth State University baseball team spoiled Middlebury College's home opener Wednesday afternoon, sweeping the home Panthers by scores of 6-3 and 8-1 in non-conference action at Forbes Field.
Senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) had two hits, including a double, and three RBI to lead the visiting Panthers in the opener, while freshman Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) hit his first career home run. Garnett and senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) had two hits and two RBI apiece in the nightcap to lead the visitors, and junior Kyle McCarthy (Nashua, N.H.) tossed a six-hitter with eight strikeouts.
The wins push PSU's overall record to 15-14 overall, while Middlebury is now 13-12.
NCAA College Baseball – Non-conference
at Forbes FIeld, Middlebury, Vt. – Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Plymouth State 6, Middlebury 3
Plymouth State 8, Middlebury 1
Records: Plymouth State 15-14; Middlebury 13-12
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* The game was scoreless into the fourth inning when Middlebury went on top, 1-0. Justin Han reached on a fielder's choice and later scored on a double down the right field line by Kevin Woodring. Plymouth State answered in the bottom of the inning with a two-out rally. Senior Eric Leitch (Lanesboro, Mass.) singled to right, while sophomore Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) reached on a bunt single and junior Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) loaded the bases with an infield base hit to short. Garnett followed, belting a double to right center to plate three runs.
* Middlebury tied the game in the fifth when Alan Guild's sacrifice fly drove in John Tipps, who led off the inning with a walk. Brooks Carroll scored on a fielder's choice to tie the game at 3-3. Plymouth State went back on top in the sixth when Salta hit a two-run homer to right, putting his team ahead 5-3. The visitors added a run in the seventh, making it a 6-3 final.
* Freshman Tyler Brown (Littleton, N.H.) picked up the win (2-0), giving up two earned runs on four hits, while striking out a pair. Freshman Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) picked up his first save of the season, allowing just one hit in two innings of work.
* Colby Morris threw four solid innings for Middlebury, striking out five, while allowing no earned runs. Jake Stalcup (1-3) suffered the loss in relief. Ryan Rizzo finished the game 3-4, while Woodring had an RBI double.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* Plymouth State took a 3-0 lead in the third inning of game two. Garnett ripped a two-run double down the left-field line, while Richard scored on a fielder's choice. The Panthers added a pair in the fifth, sparked by a lead-off triple to right by Leitch. He later scored on a throwing error, while Krajewski drove in Richard with a single through the right side for a 5-0 advantage.
* Middlebury answered in the fifth when Raj Palekar doubled to left center, scoring one batter later when Hayden Smith earned a base hit to center.
* Plymouth State gained some breathing room in the seventh on a three-run double to left center by Mitch Sytulek (Raymond, N.H.).
* McCarthy picked up the complete-game win (2-1) for Plymouth, giving up one run on six hits with eight strikeouts. Garnett and Krajewski each went 2-4 with a pair of RBI, with two doubles from Garnett. Leitch was 2-3 in the game with two runs scored, while Richard scored three times.
* Andrew Martinson (1-2) suffered the loss for the hosts, allowing five runs on five hits over 4.1 innings of work. Five players singled for Middlebury with a double from Palekar.
* PSU returns home to host Keene State College Thursday in a key Little East Conference game at 3:30 p.m. at Panther Park. Middlebury returns to action Saturday at Trinity (Conn.)
-- 30 --