Owls earn split of season series vs. Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Christian Bourgea (Litchfield, N.H.) hit a solo home run in the top of the eighth inning Thursday afternoon, breaking a 3-3 tie and sending Keene State College to a 5-3 victory over Plymouth State University in a Little East Conference baseball game at Panther Park.
The Owls added an insurance run in the ninth inning on an RBI single by freshman Connor Walsh (Goffstown, N.H.). Keene State went on to earn a split of the season series against PSU, as the Panthers downed the Owls last week in Keene, 11-10.
The Panthers got a pair of doubles from senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.), who extended his hitting streak to 10 games. Krajewski has five multi-hit games in that span, raising his batting average to .248.
The outcome gives PSU a 15-15 overall record (3-7 LEC) while Keene State improves to 12-18 overall (4-6 LEC).
NCAA College Baseball – Little East Conference
at Panther Park, Plymouth, N.H. – Thursday, April 27, 2017
Keene State 5, Plymouth State 3
Records: Plymouth State 15-15 (3-7 LEC); Keene State 12-18 (4-6 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Both teams scored in the first inning, as sophomore Connor Longley (Foxboro, Mass.) clubbed a two-run homer for Keene State in the top half of the inning and PSU got on the board in the bottom half when sophomore Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) walked, stole second, went to third on an infield hit and scored on a sacrifice fly by senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.).
* Keene State added a run in the third inning when junior Zach Rollins (Stafford Springs, Conn.) hit a solo home run to left center. PSU answered in the bottom of the fourth when Krajewski doubled down the left field line to score sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.), who had walked.
* PSU tied the score in the sixth inning when Krajewski double to right center field and scored on a single to left by junior Nate Frederick (Worcester, Mass.)
* Senior Michael Crimi (Bethel, Conn.) posted the victory (5-2) for Keene, pitching 2.1 hitless and scoreless innings of relief, allowing just two walks while fanning one. Freshman Andrew Houde (Springfield, N.H.) got a no-decision, working the first 6.2 innings and giving up three runs on six hits, striking out five.
* PSU travels to the University of Massachusetts Boston Saturday for a Little East Conference doubleheader at noon, while Keene State hosts Framingham State on Friday before an LEC twin bill Saturday at the University of Southern Maine.
-- 30 --