Krajewski extended hitting streak for Panthers
BOSTON – The Plymouth State University baseball team came up on the short side of both ends of a Little East Conference baseball doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to the University of Massachusetts by scores of 10-4 and 6-0 at Monan Park.
UMass Boston extended its winning streak to seven games, improving to 24-9 overall and 9-3 in the Little East, good for second place. PSU dropped to 15-17 overall and 3-9 in conference play.
Senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) highlighted the day for PSU, getting a hit in each game to extend his hitting streak to 12 games.
NCAA College Baseball – Little East Conference
at Monan Park, Boston, Mass. – Saturday, April 29, 2017
UMass Boston 10, Plymouth State 4
UMass Boston 6, Plymouth State 0
Records: Plymouth State 15-17 (3-9 LEC); UMass Boston 24-9, 9-3 LEC
GAME 1 NOTES
* Starter Dan Mantoni (Northbridge, Mass.) posted his fourth win of the year, allowing four runs on three hits, while also walking three. He struck out five before Bryan Kaufman (Farmingdale, N.Y.) came-in to close out the final three innings to earn his first save.
* The Beacons scored seven of their 10 runs in the first three innings, while holding Plymouth State to just one run. Lopez led off the game with a single to record his 100th career hit, and would eventually score on an RBI single to right center by Kyle Boudrias (Medford, Mass.). The Beacons would get their second run of the afternoon on a sac-fly by Fowler. After an RBI single by PSU freshman Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) in the top of the second made it 2-1 UMB, the Beacons extended their lead to four with a three-run second. The Beacons pushed their lead back to two on an infield error by the Panthers, before making it a 5-1 ball game thanks to a two-run single by Fowler through the right side.
* The Beacons continued to tack on the extra base hits in the third inning as Luke Nagle (Pembroke, Mass.) and Charlie Huegi (Sandy Hook, Conn.) each ripped doubles. Huegi's double drove in Nagle, while an RBI single by Mantoni plated Huegi to make it 7-1.
* Plymouth State chipped away at the Beacons lead scoring a pair of runs in the top of the fourth, followed by one in the fifth to make it 7-4. UMB pushed their lead back to four in the fifth, thanks to a sac-fly by Boudrias. UMass went-on to clinch the win with a run in the seventh and eighth innings. The first four batters in the Beacons starting line-up recorded multiple hits in the game won win. Mantoni finished 3-for-3 with two RBI and three runs scored, while Fowler went 2-for-3 with four RBI.
* Salta finished with two hits for PSU, and junior Cam Ruziak (Sterling, Mass.) drove in two.
GAME 2 NOTES
* PSU managed just four hits off UMB starter Matt Tulley (Lowell, Mass.) and two relievers. Tulley gave up two hits in 6.1 innings to earn his fifth victory (5-2). After Tulley, Joe Maguire (Peabody, Mass.) and Bobby Tramondozzi (Peabody, Mass.) allowed just two hits, and two walks, while also striking out three over the final 2.2 innings.
* PSU returns to action Sunday with a non-conference doubleheader at Bates College.
-- 30 --