Six-run rally lifts Panthers to win in nightcap
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – A two-run home run by senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) highlighted a six-run ninth inning comeback for Plymouth State University Thursday afternoon as the Panthers rallied for a 7-6 victory over Rhode Island College to earn a split of a Little East Conference baseball doubleheader at Panther Park.
The Anchormen rallied from a 5-1 deficit in the first game to pull out a 6-5 victory in 10 innings. The games marked the regular season finale for both schools, with RIC winding up 17-17 overall and 5-9 in the LEC and PSU at 19-19 overall and 4-10 in conference play. RIC earned the fifth seed in next week's Little East Tournament while Plymouth State finished one win short of making the playoffs.
NCAA College Baseball – Little East Conference
at Panther Park, Plymouth, N.H. – Thursday, May 5, 2017
Rhode Island College 6, Plymouth State 5 (10 innings)
Plymouth State 7, Rhode Island College 6
Records: Plymouth State 15-15 (3-7 LEC); Keene State 12-18 (4-6 LEC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Garnett's two-run home run in the first inning gave PSU an early 2-1 lead, and Boldwin's solo blast an inning later made it 3-1. After an unearned run in the fifth, Ruziak's solo homer in the sixth put the Panthers ahead, 5-2.
* RIC staged a four-run rally in the seventh inning. Austin Barry led off with a home run, and Nick Cahoone and Brad Douglas had RBI singles as the Anchormen battled back to tie the game at 5-5.
* The Anchormen scored the eventual game-winning run in the 10th when Barry doubled, and Scott Vigeant delivered an RBI single.
* Erry Baldayac earned the win for RIC with three scoreless, hitless innings of relief, striking out two.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* RIC pitcher PJ Watson had PSU's number for seven innings, holding the Panthers scoreless with just two hits and three walks. The Anchormen built a comfortable lead with four runs in the third inning and another run in the fifth and took a 5-0 lead into the late innings.
* PSU got on the board with one run in the eighth inning when sophomore Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) doubled and senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) drove him in with a single to center. Rhode Island got that one back in the top of the ninth on Barry's RBI single.
* Plymouth State's big rally in the ninth inning started with an RBI single by senior Eric Leitch (Lanesboro, Mass.). Sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) added a sacrifice fly, and Garnett blasted a two-out, two-run homer to tie the score at 6-6. The Panthers then won it when Krajewski singled to right and junior Nate Frederick (Worcester, Mass.) brought him home with a walk-off double.
-- 30 --