Goulet ties school record with three homers in wild win
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) went 4-for-5 and matched a school record with three home runs to lead Plymouth State University to a wild, 11-10 win over Rockford University in a non-conference baseball game at Terry Park to open the team's Florida spring trip on Saturday.
Goulet had three homers and a double and drove in five runs, while the Panthers rallied from an early 6-2 deficit. The teams battled back and forth with runs scoring in each of the first six innings. With the game tied at 9-9 in the top of the ninth the Panthers plated a pair of runs on a wild pitch and RBI groundout, and closer Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) struck out the side in the bottom of the inning to preserve the win.
Plymouth State improves to 2-0 on the year, while Rockford moves to 1-1.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 11, Rockford 10
Plymouth State (2-0)
How it Happened:
* The Panthers plated a pair of first inning runs on RBI doubles by Goulet and senior Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.), but Rockford got one back in the bottom half on a run-scoring double.
* The Regents put a crooked number on the board in the second as five runs came around to score.
* Plymouth State came right back with a three-run third. Goulet led off with a blast to left field and later in the inning Kayo and junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) came around to score on a wild pitch and passed ball.
* PSU pulled back in front, 7-6, with two more runs in the fourth on a sacrifice fly by senior Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) and Goulet's second homer of the game.
* Rockford rallied to go ahead 8-7 in the bottom of the fifth on a run-scoring triple and sac fly.
* Junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) started a rally in the sixth with an infield hit. He swiped second, then came around to score as Goulet launched his third dinger of the afternoon over the fence in left center.
* The lead was short-lived, however, as a double, groundout and wild pitch allowed the Regents to even the score at 9-9 in the bottom of the frame.
* PSU got a runner to third with two down in the seventh, but an infield groundball retired the side, and Rockford had a runner in scoring position with one away but junior Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) struck out the side.
* After the Panthers went down in order in the top of the eighth, senior David Sampson (Bellingham, Mass.) worked out of a jam in the bottom half. Rockford got a leadoff walk and a pair of wild pitches put the go ahead run on third with nobody out, but Sampson escaped with a pair of strikeouts and an infield grounder.
* PSU rallied in the top of the ninth. Boldwin struck out but reached as the ball got away to open the inning and Kayo followed with a double down the left field line. After a fly out, an intentional walk loaded the bases. A wild pitch gave the Panthers a 10-9 lead, and an RBI groundout made it 11-9.
* Kayo came on in the bottom of the inning and surrendered a homer around three strikeouts to close out the win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Goulet becomes the third player in program history to belt three homers in a game, with the most recent occurrence coming in the 1987 season.
* Boldwin was the only other Panther with a multi-hit game, going 2-for-5. Zimolka, Kayo, sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.), senior Chris Mansour (Lowell, Mass.) and junior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) all had hits for PSU.
* Larson, Sampson and Kayo combined to strike out eight over the final three innings while giving up just one hit and one walk.
* Sampson picked up his first win of the year (1-0), while Kayo earned his first career save.
* The Panthers are back at it on Sunday (Mar. 10) with a 12:00 p.m. game against Augustana College.
– 30 –