Walker throws three scoreless innings in collegiate debut
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Freshman Derek Walker (Littleton, N.H.) threw three scoreless innings in relief in his collegiate debut and sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) had a pair of hits, but Plymouth State University couldn't overcome a fast start by Augustana College in a 10-3 setback at Terry Park on Sunday.
The Vikings took a 6-0 lead after the first two innings. PSU cut the deficit to 7-3 after the fifth and Walker kept Augustana off the scoreboard but the Panthers were unable to rally. The Vikings tacked on three more runs in the eighth to seal the win.
PSU drops its first game of the season to fall to 2-1, while Augustana improves to 9-2-1 on the year.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 3, Augustana 10
Plymouth State (2-1)
How it Happened:
* Augustana struck for a run in the bottom of the first after a clutch two-out single. The Vikings added a five-spot in the second to build an early 6-0 lead.
* PSU got a runner to third with two away in both the second and third innings, but wasn't able to get the key base hit to drive in the runner.
* Plymouth State broke through in the fourth. Senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) led off with a double and classmate Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) singled to put runners on the corners. Boldwin stole second and senior Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) drove in a run with a sacrifice fly. After a strikeout, Routhier came through with an RBI single to cut the margin to 6-2.
* The Vikings tacked on a run back in the bottom of the inning, but PSU got it back in the top of the fifth. The Panthers had a pair of runners in scoring position with one away, and Goulet lifted a sac fly to center to make it 7-3.
* Walker worked around a pair of walks in the bottom of the fifth, then threw a 1-2-3 sixth. He added a clean seventh with a pair of strikeouts to cap a successful debut.
* Meanwhile, the Vikings pitching allowed just a Routhier single over the final four innings to close out the win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Routhier finished 2-for-3 with an RBI, while Goulet, Boldwin, Kayo and junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) all had base hits for the Panthers.
* Goulet added his team-leading ninth RBI and scored a run.
* Junior Tyler Brown (Littleton, N.H.) gave up seven runs (four earned) over his four innings of work. Walker went the next three with three walks and three strikeouts, before senior Sean Engel (Tyngsboro, Mass.) and sophomore JP Somers (Hooksett, N.H.) combined to close out the eighth.
* Somers pitched out of a bases loaded, none out situation, allowing just one inherited runner to score.
* Plymouth State plays a pair against Fairleigh Dickinson University-Florham on Monday with games set for 9:00 a.m. and noon.
– 30 –