Zimolka, Routhier with multi-hit games for Panthers
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) and sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) combined to go 4-for-8 with five runs scored but for the third straight game the opposition posted a late-innings rally to top the Plymouth State University baseball team as Alfred State University rallied for a 12-10 win over the Panthers in a non-conference baseball game at Terry Park on Wednesday.
PSU took a 9-4 lead after scoring seven times between the third and fourth innings, but Alfred State tied the game in the bottom of the fifth. The Panthers scored on a sacrifice fly to go ahead, 10-9, in the top of the seventh but a three-run homer in the bottom of the frame lifted the Pioneers to the win.
Plymouth State drops its third straight game to fall to 3-4, while Alfred State improves to 4-5.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 10, Alfred State 12
Plymouth State (3-4)
Alfred State (4-5)
How it Happened:
* As they've done all season, the Panthers got off to a good start with two runs in the top of the first. Zimolka singled and stole second, and Routhier drove him in with a base hit to right. The Panthers got a second run on an RBI single from senior Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.).
* Alfred State came right back in the bottom of the inning. A bunt single, hit batsman and walk loaded the bases with nobody out, and the next batter poked a single to right. One run came in, but senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) hit Boldwin and the relay throw cut down a run at the plate.
* PSU nearly got out of the inning with the lead intact, but a two out walk followed by a balk and two-run single gave the Pioneers a 4-2 lead after one.
* Plymouth State jumped back in front with a five-run third. The Panthers had four hits and stole four bases in the frame, while Routhier and senior Chris Mansour (Lowell, Mass.) had RBI singles. Junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) added a run-scoring double, while Goulet and Boldwin had sac flies as the Panthers took a 7-4 lead.
* PSU's aggressiveness on the base paths led to another two runs in the fourth. With one down Zimolka singled and Routhier walked. The two pulled off a double-steal and the Alfred State catcher's throw got away to allow Zimolka to score and Routhier to advance to third. Goulet followed with an RBI groundout to make it 9-4.
* The Pioneers scored three times in the bottom of the inning, then scratched out a pair of unearned runs in the fifth to tie the game at 9-9.
* Sophomore Andrew Wasilefsky (Willington, Conn.) drove in the go-ahead run in the top of the seventh with a sac fly, but Alfred State blasted a three-run homer in the bottom of the frame to take a 12-10 lead.
* PSU went down in order in the eighth. Senior Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) led off the ninth with a single, but was stranded as the Pioneers held on for the win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Zimolka and Routhier wreaked havoc atop the lineup as both reached base three times. Zimolka added three steals and scored three runs, while Routhier scored twice, drove in two and swiped two bags.
* Boldwin (single, walk) and Kayo (single, walk) each reached base twice, and Mansour singled and walked twice.
* Goulet and Boldwin both drove in two runs.
* PSU has reached double figures in four of its seven games.
* The Panthers will enjoy an off-day on Thursday before facing Rockford University on Friday (Mar. 15). PSU, aided by Goulet's three home runs, topped the Regents, 11-10, in the first game of the Florida trip last Saturday.
– 30 –