Kayo with two hits, two RBI for Panthers
BABSON PARK, Mass. – Senior Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) had two hits and drove in two runs, but #21 Babson College used an 11-run fifth inning to top Plymouth State University, 13-3, in a non-conference baseball game at Govoni Field on Monday.
Babson took a 1-0 lead in the second, but the Panthers evened the game on Kayo's RBI double in the fourth. The score remained tied until the bottom of the fifth, when the Beavers sent 16 men to the plate to blow the game open. Kayo singled in a run in the sixth, but Babson answered right back in the bottom half. The Panthers added another run in the seventh to account for the final score.
Plymouth State falls to an even 7-7, while Babson wins its eighth straight to improve to 9-2.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 3, #21 Babson 13 (7 innings)
Plymouth State (7-7)
#21 Babson (9-2)
How it Happened:
* Babson took advantage of a PSU error to take the lead in the second. With two down an error allowed the game's first run to score as the hosts went ahead 1-0.
* Plymouth State was held hitless through the first three innings, but Kayo came up with a big hit to tie the game. With one down senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) singled up the middle. He moved up one ground out and Kayo came up with a clutch two-hit double to even the game at 1-1.
* The game remained deadlocked at 1-1 until the bottom of the fifth, when the Beavers sent 16 men to the plate during an 11-run outburst. Freshman Thomas Lapham (Charlestown, Mass.) singled in the go-ahead run and the next batter drove in two with a single. Two batters later a bases-loaded triple made it 7-1.
* Two runs came in on wild pitches and Babson capped the inning with a three-run double to make it 12-1.
* PSU got a run back in the next inning. With one out, back-to-back hit batters put runners on first and second. A fielder's choice resulted in the second out of the inning, but Kayo came through with a clean single to center to drive in a run.
* Babson answered with a sacrifice fly to score a run in the bottom half of the frame.
* The Panthers put runners on the corners to start the seventh. Sophomore Andrew Wasilefsky (Willington, Conn.) doubled down the right field line and junior CJ Bilodeau (Richmond, N.H.) knocked a single to left. The next batter rapped into a 5-4-3 double play to score a run and after a pinch hit single for freshman Anthony Nikolokakis (Lynn, Mass.) the Beavers closed out the game with a strikeout.
Inside the Numbers:
* Kayo finished 2-for-3 with a double and two RBI.
* Sophomore JP Somers (Hooksett, N.H.) pitched well through four innings, but was unable to escape the fifth to fall to 0-1 on the year.
* Nikolokakis picked up his first career hit with his pinch hit single in the seventh.
* Babson improves to 6-5 all-time against the Panthers.
* The Panthers open Little East Conference play against in-state rival Keene State on Tuesday (Mar. 26). The game will be played at Pappas Field on the campus of Franklin Pierce University, with first pitch set for 3:30 p.m.
* Babson is also in action on Tuesday (Mar. 25), playing host to WPI.
– 30 –