Panthers outlast Corsairs in 12-innings in opener
DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) worked a bases-loaded walk in the top of the 12th inning to score the game-winning run as Plymouth State University topped the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 2-1, in the first game of a Little East Conference (LEC) double header at UMD Baseball Field on Saturday. The Corsairs rebounded to earn a 12-10 win in game two.
Base runners were hard to come by in the opener as both starters, including PSU senior Cam Cossette (Milford, Mass.), were locked in. The game remained scoreless until senior Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) knocked in classmate Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) with a base hit in the top of the 10th. The Corsairs nearly walked-off in the bottom of the inning, but the go-ahead run was thrown out at the plate. A. Salta took ball four with the bases loaded in the top of the 12th and senior Dylan Gaita (Melrose, Mass.) worked around a two-out single in the bottom of the frame to pick up the win.
It was a much different story in game two as each team pounded out 15 hits. PSU broke a 3-3 tie with a four-run fourth inning, but UMass Dartmouth scored three runs each in the fifth, sixth and seventh to lead 12-9. The Panthers got a run back in the eighth and brought the tying run to the plate in the ninth, but were unable to rally.
With the split the Panthers move to 8-9 and 1-2 in the Little East, while UMass Dartmouth moves to 8-10 and 2-3 in league play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 2, UMass Dartmouth 1 (Game One – 12 innings)
Plymouth State 10, UMass Dartmouth 12 (Game Two)
Plymouth State (8-9, 1-2 LEC)
UMass Dartmouth (8-10, 2-3 LEC)
How it Happened (Game One):
* Cossette and UMass Dartmouth senior Matt Cronin (Framingham, Mass.) were locked in a pitchers' duel in game one.
* Cronin held the Panthers without a baserunner until a leadoff walk in the fifth, but he retired the next three batters.
* The Corsairs didn't get their first hit against Cossette until two down in the bottom of the fourth. The next two batters walked to load the bases, but Cossette got out of the jam with a fly ball to left.
* UMD threatened again in the fifth with runners on second and third and just one out, but Cossette got a key strikeout and the next batter grounded to second to end the inning.
* Cossette gave way to Kayo in the bottom of the ninth, who struck out the side around a walk and stolen base as the scoreless game went into the 10th inning.
* With Cronin out of the game the Panthers rallied. Senior Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) worked a one-out walk and moved up two bases on a pair of wild pitches. Kayo came through at the plate with an RBI single to give PSU a 1-0 lead.
* After a leadoff walk in the bottom of the inning, Gaita came on. Another walk and a sacrifice bunt put runners on second and third with one out. Gaita issued a free pass to load the bases, before getting a huge strikeout.
* UMass Dartmouth followed with a single to left to tie the game, but the go-ahead run was cut down at the plate after a great throw from A. Salta.
* Neither team scored in the 11th, but PSU used a two-out rally to go ahead in the 12th. Senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) doubled and Boldwin and Kayo walked to load the bases. A. Salta also took ball four to force in the go-ahead run but a strike out kept the Panthers from extending the lead further.
* Gaita got two quick outs in the bottom half before a single put the tying run on base, but he retired the next batter on an infield pop up to secure the win.
Inside the Numbers (Game One):
* PSU mustered just three hits, but took advantage of six walks from Corsairs' pitching.
* Boldwin reached base four times (double, three walks), while Goulet (double, walk) and Kayo (single, walk) each reached twice.
* The Panthers were held without a stolen base for just the second time this season.
* Salta's ten-game hitting streak was snapped with an 0-for-4.
* Cossette scattered five hits and four walks over his eight scoreless innings. Gaita picked up the win to improve to 2-1 after throwing the final three innings.
* Cronin gave up a hit and two walks while striking out seven over his nine innings, but junior Nate Tellier (Attleboro, Mass.) walked four and surrendered two hits in his three innings of work to fall to 1-1.
How it Happened (Game Two):
* PSU struck first in the nightcap, scoring three in the top of the second. With two outs, senior Gavin Cook (Littleton, N.H.) walked and junior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) reached on an error. Both runners moved up on a wild pitch and junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) walked to load the bases.
* Richard came through with a two-run single and Goulet followed with a run-scoring single to make it 3-0.
* The hosts came right back in the bottom of the frame. A walk, double and groundout scored the Corsairs' first run and a second came home on a PSU error. UMass Dartmouth tied the game with a two-out single through the left side before a strikeout prevented further damage.
* Plymouth went back in front with a four-run fourth. Cook and J. Salta singled, and Zimolka's base hit scored Cook. Richard walked and Goulet followed with a two-run single to make it 6-3, and Richard came around to score on a double play later in the inning.
* The hosts pulled to within a run, 7-6, with three runs in the fifth, but PSU tacked on two more in the sixth to push the lead to 9-6. Zimolka and Richard had hits to open the inning and the two pulled off a double steal and both scored on wild pitches with one down.
* UMD came right back in the bottom of the inning to tie the game on a three-run homer by junior Mike Knell (Dennis, Mass.).
* The Corsairs pulled ahead with a three-run seventh with runs coming in on an RBI triple, double and single.
* Boldwin led off the eighth with a single and later came around to score on A. Salta's sac fly to cut the margin to 12-10.
* Sophomore Andrew Wasilefsky (Willington, Conn.) reached on an error in the ninth to bring the tying run to the plate, but Tellier retired the next three batters to earn the save.
Inside the Numbers (Game Two):
* The top four in the Panthers' lineup, Zimolka, Richard, Goulet and Boldwin, combined to go 11-for-19 with six runs scored, six RBI, six stolen bases and three walks.
* Zimolka, Goulet and Boldwin all had three hits for the Panthers, while Richard and J. Salta each had two.
* Goulet extended his on-base streak to 17 straight games.
* PSU pounded out 15 hits and took five walks in the game.
* Senior Alex Libby (Freeport, Maine) gave up six runs (four earned) while striking out four over his four-inning start.
* Junior Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) took the loss, but freshman Derek Walker (Littleton, N.H.) and senior Sean Engel (Tyngsboro, Mass.) were bright spots for the PSU bullpen, combining to throw 1.2 innings without allowing a baserunner.
* The Panthers head to #23 University of Massachusetts Boston for a pair of LEC games next Saturday (Apr. 6). Game one starts at 3:30 p.m.
* UMass Dartmouth has a short turnaround as the Corsairs host Endicott College in a non-conference game on Sunday (Mar. 31) at 11:00 a.m.
– 30 –