Panthers take game one behind Gaita's strong start, Zimolka's three hits
BOSTON, Mass. – Senior Dylan Gaita (Melrose, Mass.) threw seven innings of six-hit, two-run ball and junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) had three hits to lead Plymouth State University to a 4-2 win over the University of Massachusetts Boston in game one of a Little East Conference (LEC) baseball double header at Monan Park on Saturday evening. UMass Boston came back to win the nightcap by the same score.
PSU, designated as the home team, plated single runs in the third and fourth innings of the opener to carry a 2-0 lead into the eighth inning, but the Beacons tied the game in the top of the eighth. Plymouth State came right back with two runs in the bottom of the frame and worked around a leadoff walk in the ninth to earn the program's first win at Monan Park.
The team's traded first inning runs in game two, but the Beacons added single runs in the sixth and seventh to pull ahead. PSU pulled to within 3-2 after junior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) homered in the bottom of the seventh, but UMB got an insurance run in the next inning and held off a Plymouth rally in the ninth to earn the split.
With the split the Panthers move to 9-10 and 2-3 in the LEC, while UMass Boston ends the day 11-8 and 3-2 in league play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 4, UMass Boston 2 (Game One)
Plymouth State 2, UMass Boston 4 (Game Two)
Plymouth State (9-10, 2-3 LEC)
UMass Boston (11-8, 3-2 LEC)
How it Happened (Game One):
* PSU broke a scoreless tie with a run in the third inning. Zimolka and senior Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) singled and classmate Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) walked to load the bases with nobody out. After a foul out, senior Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) gave the Panthers a 1-0 lead with a sacrifice fly.
* J. Salta was hit by a pitch and moved to second on an error with two down in the fourth, and Zimolka followed with a single through the right side as PSU extended its lead to 2-0.
* Gaita was in control through the first seven, but got into trouble to start the eighth as the first three batters all singled, ending his day. One run came in on a bases-loaded walk, and after Kayo came on to get two outs the Beacons tied the game on a wild pitch. Kayo struck out the next batter to escape further trouble.
* PSU came right back in the bottom of the inning. Junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) led off with a double down the right field line and moved up on an infield ground ball. With the infield drawn in, sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) smoked a ball to the left of the second baseman, who made a diving stop, but his throw home was not in time as the Panthers went up 3-2.
* J. Salta gave PSU an insurance run when he rocked a double into the right field corner, scoring Routhier to make it 4-2.
* Kayo worked around a leadoff walk in the ninth, getting a groundout and line drive double play to end the game.
Inside the Numbers (Game One):
* Gaita finished with a no decision after allowing just two runs on six hits over seven-plus innings.
* Kayo (1-0) earned the win after tossing two scoreless innings.
* Zimolka wreaked havoc from the leadoff spot. He went 3-for-4 with a double and also reached on a walk, scored a run, drove in a run and stole a base.
* Richard also had a multi-hit game after going 2-for-4.
* Goulet finished 0-for-1 but walked three times to extend his on base streak.
* PSU won for the first time at Monan Park.
How it Happened (Game Two):
* The Beacons drew first blood in game two with a first inning rally. After a strikeout, a single, walk and single gave UMB a 1-0 lead, but PSU got the next batter to ground into an inning-ending double play to avoid further damage.
* The Panthers came right back in the bottom of the inning. Richard worked a one-out walk, stole second and came around on Goulet's double to tie the game.
* Senior Cam Cossette (Milford, Mass.) retired ten of the next 11 batters and the game remained tied into the sixth.
* UMass Boston pulled ahead in the sixth with a sacrifice fly, then added another run in the seventh on a wild pitch to go ahead 3-1, but J. Salta launched his second homer of the year to lead off the bottom of the inning.
* UMB got a clutch two-out hit to plate an insurance run in the eighth.
* Routhier walked and senior Chris Mansour (Lowell, Mass.) was hit by a pitch to open the bottom of the ninth, but the Beacons' closer recovered to retire the next three batters to snuff out PSU's rally.
Inside the Numbers (Game Two):
* Goulet had three hits, including a double, and knocked in a run, while J. Salta finished 2-for-4 with his home run.
* Goulet has now reached base in all 19 games this year.
* Richard and senior Gavin Cook (Littleton, N.H.) both reached twice with a single and a walk.
* Cossette struck out six over his seven innings of work. He allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits but fell to 2-1 on the year.
* Plymouth State heads to Middlebury College on Sunday (Apr. 7) for a 3:30 p.m. contest.
* The Beacons host #3 University of Southern Maine on Tuesday (Apr. 9) at 3:00 p.m.
– 30 –