Zimolka drives in three in LEC setback
RINDGE, N.H. – Junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) had two hits and drove in three runs, but a late Plymouth State University rally came up short in a 7-5 loss to Castleton University in a Little East Conference (LEC) baseball game played at Pappas Field on the campus of Franklin Pierce University on Wednesday night.
Castleton raced out to a 4-0 lead in the first and extended to 6-0 after the fifth. Senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) launched his team-leading sixth home run of the year to get the Panthers on the board in the sixth, but PSU still trailed 7-1 heading into the eighth inning. Plymouth rallied with a four-run frame, highlighted by Zimolka's two-out, three-run double, but the Spartans were able to hold on for the win.
With the setback the Panthers dip to 9-12 and 2-4 in the LEC, while Castleton evens its record at 11-11 and 3-3 in conference play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 5, Castleton 7
Plymouth State (9-12, 2-4 LEC)
Castleton (11-11, 3-3 LEC)
How it Happened:
* Castleton jumped on starter Alex Libby (Freeport, Maine) as the first four batters all reached. The Spartans plated four runs on an RBI double, run-scoring balk and a pair of sacrifice flies.
* Castleton extended its lead with a pair of runs in the fifth. A walk and error put a pair of runners on and both came around on a double to make it 6-0.
* Goulet extended his on-base streak to 21-straight games when he led off the sixth with a blast to left field. Later in the inning PSU would load the bases on three walks, but the Spartans were able to escape further damage.
* Castleton got the run right back in the bottom of the inning scoring an unearned run on another sac fly.
* Plymouth attempted to mount a comeback in the late innings. Senior Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) opened the eighth with a double and classmate Chris Mansour (Lowell, Mass.) followed with an infield hit. Castleton got the next two batters on strikeouts, but a walk and hit batsman forced in a run and Zimolka followed with a bases-clearing double to left to make it 7-5.
* The Spartans went back to the bullpen and sophomore Andy Kenosh (Rutland, Vt.) retired the final four batters to earn the win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Zimolka was the lone Panther with a multi-hit game with a pair of doubles. Goulet (homer), Boldwin (double), Mansour (single) and junior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) had the other PSU hits.
* Four of Plymouth's six hits went for extra bases.
* Goulet has reached base safely in every game this spring.
* Libby fell to 1-1 on the year, but the Panthers' bullpen didn't allow an earned run while recording all 24 outs.
* Freshman Derek Walker (Littleton, N.H.) struck out five over 4.2 innings, giving up a pair of unearned runs, while junior Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) surrendered just one unearned run over his 2.1 innings. Senior Sean Engel (Tyngsboro, Mass.) struck out two in his scoreless inning.
* PSU visits New England College on Thursday (Apr. 11) for a 3:00 p.m. non-conference game.
* The Spartans visit Mitchell College for a non-conference double header on Thursday (Apr. 11) starting at 2:00 p.m.
– 30 –