Boldwin, Richard homer for Panthers
RINDGE, N.H. – Seniors Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) and Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) each went deep, but Castleton University scored 12 runs between the fifth and sixth innings to earn a 16-10 win over Plymouth State University in a Little East Conference (LEC) baseball game played at Pappas Field on the campus of Franklin Pierce University on Tuesday.
PSU got off to a strong start as Boldwin gave the Panthers a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first thanks to his sixth home run of the year and the Panthers led 4-2 heading into the fifth. Castleton exploded for seven runs in the frame, though, to take the lead for good. The Spartans added five more runs in the sixth to take a 14-4 lead, and although PSU cut into the deficit with four runs in the bottom of the frame, the Panthers were unable to recover.
With the loss Plymouth State falls 10-15 and 3-6 in the Little East, while Castleton sweeps the season series to improve to 13-14 and 5-4 in league action.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 10, Castleton 16
Plymouth State (10-15, 3-6 LEC)
Castleton (13-14, 5-4 LEC)
How it Happened:
* After a one-two-three top of the first, Boldwin got the Panthers off to a promising start with his two-run shot in the bottom of the inning.
* Senior Dylan Gaita (Melrose, Mass.) worked around a leadoff double in the top of the second, and junior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) doubled home sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) to make it a 3-0 game.
* The teams traded unearned runs in the third and the Spartans cut the lead to 4-2 when freshman Reece De Castro (Rutland, Vt.) worked a bases-loaded walk an inning later.
* Castleton sent ten men to the plate in a seven-run fifth to take control. Senior Dillon Benham (Lenox, Mass.) drove in two with a single and sophomore Josh Ferro (Queens, N.Y.) followed with a two-run blast to right to give the Spartans a 6-4 lead.
* The visitors added three more runs in the frame, then tacked on five more in the sixth one a pair of RBI singles, two sacrifice flies and a bases-loaded walk to make it 14-4.
* Plymouth State responded in the bottom of the inning as the first five batters all reached. Senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) knocked in a pair of runs with a double and classmate Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) made it 14-7 with a sac fly. Junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) added another two runs with a double just inside the right field line, but the Spartans escaped further trouble.
* Both teams added single runs in the seventh and Castleton made it 16-9 when a run scored on a double play ball.
* Richard accounted for the final score with his solo shot in the bottom of the ninth.
Inside the Numbers:
* Gaita fell to 2-2 after giving up nine runs (five earned) over 4.2 innings. He struck out six.
* Junior Cameron Goulet (Winsted, Conn.) earned the win for the Spartans after allowing four runs (three earned) over five innings to improve to 3-2.
* Goulet and J. Salta both had three hits apiece. Goulet extended his on-base streak to 25 games with his 3-for-4 day, including a double, two walks, three runs and two RBI.
* J. Salta went 3-for-5 with three doubles. He scored twice and drove in one.
* Richard (2-for-5) and Boldwin (2-for-4) both had multi-hit games as well. Richard scored twice and drove in two, while Boldwin took a pair of walks, scored a run and drove in three.
* Junior Davis Mikell (Williston, Vt.) had three hits for the Spartans, finishing 3-for-5 with a double, walk and two RBI, while Ferro went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored and three RBI.
* Plymouth State heads to the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Mass. for a non-conference game with Newbury College on Thursday (Apr. 18) with first pitch scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
* The Spartans host #3 University of Southern Maine for an LEC double header on Saturday (Apr. 20) starting at 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –