Goulet goes deep again in non-conference win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) homered for the second straight day and Plymouth State University took advantage of five errors to top New England College, 8-4, in a non-conference baseball game at Parish Field on Thursday afternoon.
Playing on its home field for the first time this season, Plymouth State used a seven-run seventh to turn a 3-1 deficit into an 8-3 lead. NEC added a run in the top of the eighth, but the Panthers locked down the win.
Trailing 1-0 in the third, Goulet added to his program-record home run total, launching a solo shot deep to right center field to tie the game. It was his 11th homer of the season.
Plymouth State snaps a three game skid to improve to 12-18, while the Pilgrims drop their seventh straight game to fall to 18-15.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 8, NEC 4
Plymouth State (12-18)
How it Happened:
* NEC took advantage of a PSU error to grab a first inning run. With one out, freshman Anderson Jiminez (Lowell, Mass.) rapped a single headed up the middle. PSU's second baseman made a diving stop, but the throw was off target allowing Jiminez to move up to second. He went to third on a wild pitch and came home on a sharp single to center from junior Luis Atiles (Roxbury, Mass.).
* Plymouth State evened the score in the bottom of the third as Goulet launched a solo shot into the trees beyond the fence in right center field.
* The Pilgrims regained the lead in the top of the seventh. Two of the first three batters walked and both came around to score on a double off the bat of senior Christian Aybar (Pawtucket, R.I.). With two away, freshman Ryan Tessier (Concord, N.H.) singled down the left field line, but junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) came up firing and gunned down Aybar at the plate to keep the score at 3-1.
* PSU took advantage of some sloppy play to put up a crooked number in the bottom of the inning. Junior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) and freshman Jacob Unkles (Derry, N.H.) both walked and sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) reached on an error that scored a run.
* Junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) followed with a two-run double inside the right field line to bring home Unkles and Routhier and put the Panthers ahead, 4-3.
* Goulet followed with a run-scoring single and PSU loaded the bases with two down after a pair of walks, before J. Salta reached on an error to score two more runs. A. Salta came in on a wild pitch to make it 8-3 before the Pilgrims escaped the inning.
* NEC got a run back in the eighth when senior Xavier Nunez (Lawrence, Mass.) walked and moved around the bases on three wild pitches.
* The Pilgrims put a pair of runners on in the ninth, but senior Dylan Gaita (Melrose, Mass.) induced a game-ending double play to close out the win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Goulet extended his season-long on base streak to 30 games with a 2-for-4 day. He scored two runs and added two RBI.
* Zimolka (double, walk) and Unkles (single, walk) each reached base twice.
* Jiminez had a three-hit game for the Pilgrims, finishing 3-for-5 with a run scored.
* Goulet's home run extended his program record to 11.
* Both teams used their bullpens extensively. PSU starter Mark Levesque (Milton, N.H.) threw four innings of one-run ball. Seniors David Sampson (Bellingham, Mass.), Cam Cossette (Milford, Mass.) and Gaita each tossed scoreless innings. Junior Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) picked up the win to move to 1-2.
* Eight different pitchers each worked an inning for the Pilgrims. Freshman Chandler Drew (Rochester, N.H.) didn't record an out and was charged with six runs (two earned) to suffer the loss (0-1) in his debut.
* PSU hosts WestConn for a Little East Conference double header on Sunday (Apr. 28) starting at noon.
* The Pilgrims head to Elms College for an NECC twin bill on Saturday (Apr. 27) with first pitch of game one slated for 12:00 p.m.
– 30 –