Panthers explode for big game one win; Goulet with five hits on the day
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) had five hits on the day as Plymouth State University split a double header with Western Connecticut State University in Little East Conference (LEC) baseball action at Parish Field on Sunday.
The Panthers rallied from an early 7-0 hole to take the opener, 20-8, before WestConn earned a 5-4 win in game two.
Goulet continued his impressive season at the plate, going 2-for-4 in the opener and 3-for-4 in the nightcap. He drove in five runs on the day, extending his season-long on base streak to 32 games.
Plymouth State moves to 13-19 and 4-9 in the LEC, while WestConn ends the day at 6-21 and 3-10 in league play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 20, WestConn 8 (Game One – Seven innings)
Plymouth State 4, WestConn 5 (Game Two)
Plymouth State (13-19, 4-9 LEC)
WestConn (6-21, 3-10 LEC)
How it Happened (Game One):
* WestConn exploded for seven runs in the second to take an early lead. The Colonials had runs come in on a two-run double from sophomore Logan Terry (Ellington, Conn.), a run-scoring ground out, RBI singles by juniors Moe Ortiz-Echevarria (Norwalk, Conn.) and Matt Mancini (Waterbury, Conn.) and a two-bagger by senior George Bielizna (Danbury, Conn.).
* Plymouth State came right back with three runs in the bottom of the frame. After a hit batsman and single, one run came in on an error and Goulet's two-run triple cut the deficit to 7-3.
* The Panthers added three more in the third to make it a one run game. Senior Chris Mansour (Lowell, Mass.) drove in one with an RBI single and sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) and junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) each knocked in a run with a fielder's choice.
* PSU sent 12 men to the plate in the fourth, plating seven runs to pull in front. Junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) had a two-run single, while his twin James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) had a two-run double. Senior Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) added a run-scoring double, with two other runs coming in on a bases loaded walk and a ground out.
* Goulet made it 14-7 after working a bases loaded walk in the fifth and PSU put the game out of reach with a six-run sixth.
* Bielizna hit a long home run to left with two down in the seventh to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers (Game One):
* Boldwin had a pair of doubles and a walk as part of his 3-for-5 game.
* Routhier reached base four times (two singles, two walks) and drove in three runs, while Goulet had a four-RBI game.
* J. Salta went 2-for-3 with three runs scored and three RBI from the nine spot.
* Bielizna and Mancini provided the bulk of the offense for the Colonials, as each finished 3-for-4 with two RBI.
* Senior Dylan Gaita (Melrose, Mass.) settled down nicely after WestConn's big second inning, going all seven innings while allowing just three earned and striking out seven to improve to 3-2.
* Sophomore Andrew Lojko (Trumbull, Conn.) took the loss (0-2) as the Colonials used six pitchers in the game.
How it Happened (Game Two):
* PSU picked up a first inning run on doubles from Goulet and senior Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.).
* The Colonials opened the third with three straight singles to load the bases. After a strikeout, junior Erik Merrill (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) cleared the bases with a three-run double to put the visitors ahead.
* Junior Greg Campbell (Harwinton, Conn.) led off the top of the fifth with a line drive home run over the high fence in right field to extend the WestConn lead to 4-1.
* The Panthers came back to tie the game in the bottom of the inning. J. Salta doubled in a run and Zimolka made it a one-run game with a sacrifice fly before Goulet came through with a two-out RBI double to tie the game at 4-4.
* The Colonials went back in front in the seventh. A walk and single set up freshman Zachary Edwards (Seymour, Conn.), who doubled down the right field line for a 5-4 lead.
* PSU got the tying run on base in both the eighth and ninth innings, but were unable to even the game.
Inside the Numbers (Game Two):
* With another three-hit game, Goulet has reached safely in all 32 contests. He is currently riding a 14-game hitting streak and also has 14 multi-hit games on the year.
* After walking nine batters in game one, the Colonials didn't issue a single free pass in game two.
* Merrill and Edwards both had three hits, including a double, for WestConn.
* Senior Cam Cossette (Milford, Mass.) took the loss after striking out four and allowing five runs over 6.2 innings. Freshman Derek Walker (Littleton, N.H.) allowed just one baserunner in 2.1 innings of relief.
* After a big game at the plate in game one, Bielizna was solid on the mound in game two. He went eight full innings, striking out six and allowing four earned to improve to 3-4. Senior Matt Fasoli (Trumbull, Conn.) struck out the side in the ninth for his second save.
* Both teams host non-conference games on Monday (Apr. 29). Plymouth State welcomes Northern Vermont University-Lyndon to Parish Field for a 3:30 p.m. start, while the Colonials host Mt. St. Vincent at 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –