Goulet singles and walks; reaches base in every game in 2019
BRUNSWICK, Maine – Senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) singled and walked to reach base safely in all 37 games this season, but Bowdoin College used a three-run rally in the bottom of the tenth inning to walk-off with a 10-9 win over Plymouth State University in a non-conference baseball game at Pickard Field on Sunday.
Goulet finished 1-for-5 with a walk to cap a phenomenal senior campaign, while junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) had three hits.
PSU put a five-spot on the board in the second to take an early 5-1 lead. The Polar Bears scored twice in the fifth, but Plymouth State got an insurance run in the eighth to go ahead 6-3. Bowdoin answered with four runs in the bottom of the inning to pull ahead. Down to their final strike, the Panthers rallied to tie the game in the ninth and scored twice in the tenth for a 9-7 lead. Bowdoin went right back to work in the bottom of the inning, though, scoring three times for the walk-off win.
Plymouth State wraps up the season with a 14-23 mark, while Bowdoin improves to 7-23-2.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 9, Bowdoin 10 (Ten Innings)
Plymouth State (14-23)
How it Happened:
* Bowdoin scraped together a run in the first on a single, wild pitch, stolen base and two-out base hit to take an early 1-0 lead.
* PSU came right back in the next half inning. Junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) doubled to start the inning, but was erased on a fielder's choice. Bowdoin got the second out, but a walk and Zimolka single tied the game. Goulet walked to load the bases and senior Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) took ball four to force in a run. Senior Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) drove in two more with a double and junior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) singled in another run to make it 5-1.
* Bowdoin trimmed the lead to 5-3 in the fifth on a two-run single.
* Senior Chris Mansour (Lowell, Mass.) gave Plymouth an insurance run in the eighth, doubling home Richard to make it 6-3.
* Bowdoin pieced together a four-run rally to take the lead, taking advantage of two PSU errors and a pair of bases loaded walks to tie the game, and a sacrifice fly gave the Polar Bears a 7-6 lead heading to the ninth.
* PSU got runners on first and second with two down and J. Salta ripped a two-strike single to center to tie the game and force extra innings.
* Plymouth appeared to put the game away in the top of the tenth as sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) hammered a two-run double for a 9-7 lead.
* Bowdoin rallied in the bottom of the frame. The first two batters reached and senior Jack Wilhoite (Winchester, Mass.) crushed a double to center field. The first run scored, but PSU cut down the trail runner at the plate to preserve the one-run lead. A walk and error loaded the bases, though, and freshman Nick Merrill (Bowdoinham, Maine) laced a single through the left side to score two for the walk-off win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Zimolka finished 3-for-5 with a walk. He scored twice and drove in a run.
* Richard (double, single) and J. Salta (two singles) each had two hits and drove in a pair.
* Senior Alex Libby (Freeport, Maine) got the start for the Panthers, allowing three runs over 4.2 innings while striking out four. Classmate Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) worked 2.1 scoreless innings, striking out three. Sophomore Trevor Delesdernier (Nianic, Conn.) suffered the loss to fall to 0-4 despite not allowing an earned run in his .1 innings pitched.
* Wilhoite earned the win (1-0) for the Polar Bears after throwing the final three innings. He walked three and gave up five hits and four runs (two earned). He also went 3-for-5 at the plate with a pair of doubles, two runs scored and two RBI.
* Boldwin walked twice to extend his program record for walks in a season with 36, while Zimolka stole four bases to finish the season with a school record 33.
* Goulet finished the year with a .410/.492/.806 slash line while setting multiple program records. His 13 home runs, 47 RBI and 116 total bases are all new program bests, while he was within striking distance of the record for runs scored, hits and doubles in a season.
* The game marked the end of the careers of PSU's 12 seniors; Richard, Mansour, Kayo, Goulet, Boldwin, Libby, Cam Cossette (Milford, Mass.), Gavin Cook (Littleton, N.H.), Sean Engel (Tyngsboro, Mass.), David Sampson (Bellingham, Mass.), Dylan Gaita (Melrose, Mass.) and manager Jacob Scheinman (Plymouth, N.H.).
– 30 –