Metzdorf posts three-hit game in Panthers' debut
NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. – Sophomore Drew Metzdorf (Burlington, Mass.) had three hits but Plymouth State University fell to Eastern Nazarene College, 9-5, in ten innings in the season opener at the New England Baseball Complex on Tuesday afternoon.
PSU rallied from a 3-2 deficit with a three-run fifth, but the Lions evened the game in the eighth before scoring four times in the top of the tenth to steal the win.
Plymouth State drops to 0-1, while ENC improves to 3-0.
Plymouth State 5, Eastern Nazarene 9 (10 innings)
Plymouth State (0-1)
Eastern Nazarene (3-0)
How it Happened.
- Plymouth State took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second as freshman Richie Marique (Derry, N.H.) scored on junior Mongeon Kim's (Osaka, Japan) sacrifice fly and senior Gavin Cook (Littleton, N.H.) knocked in junior Andy Wasilefsky (Willington, Conn.).
- The Lions pulled even with a pair of runs in the top of the fourth, then went ahead on an RBI double in the fifth for a 3-2 lead.
- PSU came right back in the bottom half of the inning as Metzdorf plated senior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) and junior Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) with a double and Metzdorf came around to score on a balk later in the inning.
- ENC used a run-scoring single and a sacrifice fly to even the score at 5-5 in the eighth.
- The Lions used a two-out rally to take the lead for good in the tenth. With two down and a runner on first, a walk and hit batter loaded the bases and sophomore Hunter Leroux-Porter cleared the bags with a triple before coming in to score on a single one batter later.
- Metzdorf led off the bottom half with his third hit of the day but the Panthers were unable to rally.
Inside the Numbers:
- Metzdorf finished 3-for-5 with a run scored and two driven in, while Cook also had a multi-hit game with a pair of singles.
- Junior Tyler Brown (Littleton, N.H.) got the start for the Panthers, allowing just one earned run over five innings while striking out six. Senior Mark Berryman (Lancaster, N.H.) took the loss despite striking out five over 4.2 innings of relief.
- Freshman Jon Tessier (Coronado, Calif.) picked up his first win while scattering five hits over 5.2 innings.
- Plymouth State is idle until Mar. 6, when the Panthers open their annual Florida trip with a double header against Finlandia with games at 12:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
– 30 –