Metzdorf with four knocks in opener, Panthers combine for one-hitter in game two
Fort Myers, Fla. – Sophomore Drew Metzdorf (Burlington, Mass.) went 4-for-4 with a triple in the opener and three pitchers combined for a one hitter in game two as Plymouth State University swept Finlandia University in a non-conference baseball doubleheader during the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic on Friday.
Metzdorf continued his hot start to the season with his perfect day at the plate in game one as the Panthers used an eight-run third inning to take the opener by a 10-3 score. Freshman Richie Marique (Derry, N.H.) allowed just a first inning single and struck out nine over five innings in his debut start as PSU wrapped up the twin killing with an 11-0 win in game two.
Plymouth State improves to 2-1 on the year, while the Lions drop to 0-8.
Plymouth State 10, Finlandia 3 (Game 1)
Plymouth State 11, Finlandia 0 (Game 2)
Plymouth State (2-1)
How it Happened (Game 1):
- Finlandia scraped across a run in the top of the first, but PSU took advantage of a wild pitch and error to even the score in the second.
- PSU sent 12 men to the plate in an eight-run third to blow the game open. The Panthers had nine hits in the inning, including five for extra bases, with Metzdorf posting two hits including a two-run triple.
- The Lions plated two in the top of the fourth, but Plymouth State came right back with a run in the bottom of the inning.
- Both offenses were held off the scoreboard over the final three innings.
Inside the Numbers (Game 1):
- With his four hits, Metdorf is now 7-for-9 with a double, triple and four RBI to kick off the season.
- Senior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) went 2-for-4 with a double, while junior Andy Wasilefsky (Willington, Conn.) had a single and double in three at bats.
- Every player in the starting lineup scored a run.
- Junior Tyler Brown (Littleton, N.H.) picked up his first win of the year (1-0) after allowing three runs over four innings. Senior Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) and freshman Ryan Conklin (Middletown, Conn.) went the final three innings allowing just two hits while striking out three.
How it Happened (Game 2):
- PSU got off to a good start as the first two batters walked, moved up on stolen bases and came home on Salta's two-run single for a quick 2-0 lead.
- The first four batters reached base in the top of the second and Zimolka's single doubled the PSU lead. Salta drove in another run with a base hit and both he and Zimolka came home to score on an error as the Panthers pushed the margin to 7-0 after two.
- Plymouth State tacked on single runs in the third and fourth before adding two more runs on a wild pitch and Salta's third hit of the night.
Inside the Numbers (Game 2):
- Salta had another big game at the dish after a 3-for-4 effort with four RBI, while Wasilefsky went 2-for-3 with a double and scored a pair of runs.
- Senior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) was an animal atop the lineup, scoring three runs, driving in two and swiping four bags.
- Marique (1-0) allowed just a first inning single, that could have been ruled an error, and struck out nine over five full innings. Freshman Pat McCarthy (Nashua, N.H.) worked a perfect sixth, while classmate John Swenson (Rye, N.H.) struck out the side in the seventh.
- PSU squares off against Coast Guard on Saturday (Mar. 7) at 9:00 a.m.
– 30 –