Salta reaches base five times, knocks in three
Fort Myers, Fla. – Senior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) had a pair of hits, walked three times and drove in three runs to lead Plymouth State University to an 8-4 win over the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in a non-conference baseball game at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic on Saturday morning.
Salta knocked in two with a first inning double, socked a solo shot to left center in the third and walked in each of his final three at bats to lead the Panthers' offense. Freshman Ryan Conklin (Middletown, Conn.) earned the win (1-0) in relief as the PSU bullpen threw 5.1 innings of scoreless ball.
Plymouth State improves to 3-0 on its Florida trip and 3-1 on the year, while Coast Guard drops its season opener to fall to 0-1.
Plymouth State 8, Coast Guard 4
Plymouth State (3-1)
Coast Guard (0-1)
How it Happened:
- Coast Guard got a leadoff triple to open the game but senior Mark Berryman (Lancaster, N.H.) nearly escaped unscathed. A two-out single gave the Bears a 1-0 lead.
- Senior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) continued his hot start in the bottom of the inning. After the first two runners reached his double put the Panthers on top, 2-1.
- Berryman worked out of a bases loaded jam in the second and PSU rode the momentum to tack on another run in the bottom half. Junior Andy Wasilefsky (Willington, Conn.) worked a leadoff walk, stole two bases and came home on a groundout to make it 3-1.
- Salta struck again the third when his leadoff dinger pushed the advantage to 4-1.
- Coast Guard struck for three runs in the fourth to pull even, but PSU used three straight walks to load the bases in the bottom half before scoring on a sacrifice fly and wild pitch to lead 6-4 after four.
- PSU added a single run in the fifth on a Coast Guard miscue and added one more in the eighth to cap the scoring.
Inside the Numbers:
- Salta went 2-for-2, walked three times, scored a run and drove in three and is now 7-for-10 with two doubles and a homer and eight RBI on the Florida trip.
- Senior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) was 4-for-4 with two runs scored and two stolen bases out of the leadoff spot, while sophomore Drew Metzdorf (Burlington, Mass.) walked three times.
- Berryman allowed four runs while striking out three over 3.2 innings in his first start of the year. Conklin surrendered just one hit in his 1.1 innings to pick up the win, while freshman Aiden McDonough (Dover, N.H.) struck out two in his debut inning.
- Sophomore Derek Walker (Littleton, N.H.) struck out five over the final three innings to pick up his first save of the year.
- The Panthers are back at it again on Sunday (Mar. 8) for a 3:00 p.m. clash with Baruch.
– 30 –