Panthers plate seven in ninth to win
Fort Myers, Fla. – Plymouth State University scored seven times in the top of the ninth to rally past Baruch College, 11-6, in a non-conference baseball game at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic on Sunday.
PSU led 4-0 through three innings, but the Bearcats came back with two runs in the fourth and sixth innings to tie the game. Baruch went ahead with a two-run eighth, but Plymouth State battled back. Sophomore Drew Metzdorf (Burlington, Mass.) knocked in the game-tying and go-ahead runs with a single and two batters later senior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) came all the way around the bases for a three-run, in-the-park homer. The Panthers added another insurance run and Baruch didn't threaten in the bottom of the inning.
Plymouth State extends its winning streak to four straight to improve to 4-1, while the Bearcats move to 6-2.
Plymouth State 11, Baruch 6
Plymouth State (4-1)
How it Happened:
- Plymouth State took a 2-0 lead in the second when senior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) ripped a bases loaded single down the right field line.
- Senior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) ripped a double to open the third and brother Andrew singled him home one batter later. A. Salta came around to score on a wild pitch later in the frame.
- Baruch began its comeback in the fourth as a walk and homer cut the deficit in half.
- The Bearcats tied the game in the sixth on a bases loaded hit by pitch and wild pitch.
- Baruch pulled ahead in the eighth on a wild pitch and RBI double.
- PSU took advantage of some sloppy defense to rally for the win. Junior Andy Wasilefsky (Willington, Conn.) reached on an error and came home on senior Gavin Cook's (Littleton, N.H.) base hit. A hit batter and another error loaded the bases to set up Metzdorf's two run single as the Panthers' pulled ahead, 7-6.
- After a strikeout, A. Salta raced around the bases for his in-the-park homer to give PSU a four-run cushion and Wasilefsky added an insurance run with an RBI double.
Inside the Numbers:
- Metzdorf, A. Salta and Wasilefsky all had two hits. Wasilefsky had a pair of doubles.
- Metzdorf has driven in a run in four of five games thus far.
- Sophomore Noah Wachter (Concord, N.H.) struck out four over five innings.
- Metzdorf picked up the win on the mound (1-0). He gave up two in the eighth, but allowed just a walk in the ninth.
- PSU squares off against FDU-Florham and Wittenberg on Monday (Mar. 9).
– 30 –