Metzdorf, J. Salta with multi-hit games
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Sophomore Drew Metzdorf (Burlington, Mass.) and senior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) each had two hits, but Johns Hopkins University topped Plymouth State University, 6-1, in a non-conference baseball game at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic on Thursday.
Johns Hopkins took advantage of three PSU miscues to plate three runs in the fourth inning to break a 1-1 tie. The Blue Jays added single runs in the fifth and ninth to earn the win.
Plymouth State dips to 6-4 with the setback, while Johns Hopkins improves to 9-3.
Plymouth State 1, #17 Johns Hopkins 6
Plymouth State (6-4)
#17 Johns Hopkins (9-3)
How it Happened:
- The Blue Jays scored the game's first run on a wild pitch in the second.
- Plymouth State came back to tie the game in the bottom of the third. Senior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) worked a two out walk and Metzdorf and Salta followed with back-to-back singles to even the score at 1-1.
- Johns Hopkins got some help to score three times in the fourth. An error put the lead runner on and an RBI double made it 2-1. After a flyout another miscue left runners on the corners and the second run of the inning came around to score on a passed ball. The third error of the inning loaded the bases and the Blue Jays extended the lead to 4-1 on a sacrifice fly.
- Freshman Richie Marique (Derry, N.H.) and junior Nick Hoyt (Fredericton, New Brunswick) both had hits to put runners on the corners with one away in the bottom of the inning, but a double play erased the threat.
- JHU came back with a run in the next half inning and the Blue Jays capped the scoring with a single run in the ninth.
Inside the Numbers:
- Metzdorf went 2-for-4, while Salta had two hits in three at bats, walked and drove in the Panthers' run.
- Sophomore Derek Walker (Littleton, N.H.) gave up four runs (two earned) while striking out four over 3.1 innings. He fell to 0-1.
- Freshman Ryan Conklin (Middletown, Conn.) gave up two runs (one earned) over the next 4.2 innings, while senior Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) worked a scoreless eighth.
- PSU faces SUNY Canton tomorrow (Mar. 13) at 3:00 p.m.
– 30 –