Metzdorf's key double sparks game-deciding inning
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Sophomore Drew Metzdorf (Burlington, Mass.) delivered a clutch two-run double as part of a five run eighth inning as Plymouth State University outlasted SUNY-Canton, 11-6, in a non-conference baseball game at the Gene Cusic Classic on Friday afternoon.
The Panthers held leads of 1-0, 5-1 and 6-5, but each time Canton answered to tie the game. With things all even at 6-6, Plymouth State took control for good plating five runs in the eighth as Metzdorf contributed the big hit once again.
Plymouth State improves to 7-4 while the Roos drop to 0-8.
Plymouth State 11, SUNY-Canton 6
Plymouth State (7-4)
How it Happened:
- Plymouth State went ahead in the top of the third when junior Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) led off the inning with a double, moved up on a fly out and tagged up on a sacrifice fly.
- The Roos got the run back in the bottom of the inning as a runner came home on a throwing error.
- Junior Andy Wasilefsky (Willington, Conn.) was hit by a pitch in the fourth, stole second and third and crossed the plate when the catcher's throw was wild to put PSU back in front, 2-1.
- Plymouth State took advantage of some wildness to push three runs across in the sixth. Wasilefsky was hit by another pitch and the next two batters walked to load the bases with one down. Freshman Ethan Robitaille (Conway, N.H.) reached on an error to plate a run and two bases-loaded walks pushed the lead to 5-1.
- SUNY-Canton came right back again the next half inning, though, using two singles, four walks and a fielder's choice to tie the game.
- Wasilefsky singled in the seventh and later came home on a sacrifice fly as Plymouth State regained the lead, but once again the Roos plated the tying run in the bottom half.
- The Panthers put the game away in the eighth as Metzdorf ripped a two-run double after back-to-backs walks opened the inning. Canton looked like it might escape further trouble as the next two hitters made outs, but Wasilefsky smoked a triple to the gap to drive in a run, sophomore Jake Unkles (Derry, N.H.) followed with an RBI single and classmate Max Lamora (Concord, N.H.) added a run scoring double to make it 11-6.
- The Roos put the first two batters on in the bottom of the ninth, but a double play and strike out ended the game.
Inside the Numbers:
- Wasilefsky reached base five times (single, triple, walk, two HBP), scored four runs and drove in one.
- Routhier (2-for-4) and Unkles (2-for-3) also had multi-hit games and each scored twice, while Metzdorf drove in a team-high four runs.
- PSU stole ten bases in the game.
- Senior Mark Berryman (Lancaster, N.H.) gave up two earned and struck out four over the first five innings.
- Freshman Mat Albetski (Hampstead, N.H.) and senior Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) combined to get the final 12 outs, allowing just five hits and an unearned run. Larson picked up the win to move to 2-0.
- Plymouth State closes out its Florida trip tomorrow (Mar. 14) against Haverford. First pitch is set for 9:00 a.m.
– 30 –