Zimolka homers, drives in four in setback
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Senior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) hit an in-the-park grand slam to highlight a five-run eighth inning, but Haverford College held on to top Plymouth State University, 11-8, in a non-conference baseball game at the Gene Cusic Classic on Saturday.
Plymouth State built a 3-1 lead through the first six innings, but the Fords scored five times in the seventh and eighth innings to take a seemingly commanding 11-3 lead. PSU rallied with five runs of its own in the bottom of the eighth and put the lead runner on in the ninth but was unable to complete the comeback.
Plymouth State ends its Florida trip with a 7-4 record to move to 7-5 overall, while Haverford improves to 7-5 as well.
Plymouth State 8, Haverford 11
Plymouth State (7-5)
How it Happened:
- Plymouth State took a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning. Seniors James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) and Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) each singled, and both came home on sophomore Jake Unkles' (Derry, N.H.) two out hit.
- Zimolka reached on a two-base error to start the fifth and freshman Josh Silveira (East Providence, R.I.) followed with a bunt hit. An error allowed Zimolka to score as PSU pushed the lead to 3-0.
- Haverford loaded the bases with none out in the sixth but sophomore pitcher Noah Wachter (Concord, N.H.) limited the damage to a single run on a sacrifice fly.
- The Fords took advantage of a pair of miscues to push five runs across in the seventh, then used four hits in the eighth, including a three-run shot, to push the lead to 11-3.
- PSU came right back in the bottom of the inning as a walk and freshman Aaron Robertson's (Weare, N.H.) single put two runners on. Sophomore Max Lamora (Concord, N.H.) drove in one with a double down the line and another free pass loaded the bases for Zimolka, who raced around the bags for an inside-the-park grand slam.
- A. Salta singled to start the bottom of the ninth, but the Panthers were unable to put another runner on base.
Inside the Numbers:
- Zimolka went 1-for-5, scored twice and drove in four atop the lineup.
- J. Salta and A. Salta each had two hits and scored a run, while Lamora went 2-for-2 with a walk, run scored and RBI.
- Wachter struck out seven and gave up just one run over the first six innings, but the PSU bullpen allowed ten runs (five earned) over the final three.
- With a number of cancelations and postponements following the NCAAs reaction to the coronavirus pandemic, PSU's next scheduled game isn't until April 11 at Keene State.
– 30 –