Header Background

Western Connecticut routs PSC

PLYMOUTH, N.H. - Senior Mike Scipione (Oakton, Va.) completed 17 of 29 passes for 248 yards and four touchdowns Saturday as Western Connecticut State University remained undefeated with a 47-19 Freedom Football Conference victory over Plymouth State College at Currier Field.

The win improves WCSU, ranked No. 2 in New England and No. 16 in Division III, to 4-0 overall and 1-0 in the FFC, while PSC drops to 0-4 and 0-2, the first 0-4 start in the program's 33-year history.

Scipione tossed three TD passes in the first half as Western took a 21-0 lead. PSC countered with a pair of second quarter scoring tosses by senior Matt Simpson (Auburn, Maine) to cut the margin to 21-12, but Scipione added his fourth TD pass with 14 seconds left in the half to give the Colonials a 28-12 lead at the break.

The two teams traded third-quarter touchdowns to make it 34-19, but Western senior Daron Reid (Reistertown, Md.) returned an interception 97 yards for a touchdown to put the Colonials ahead 40-19 late in the third quarter.

Sophomore Mark Carter (Peekskill, N.Y.) led the Colonials with two TD catches, while senior Michael Forest (Egg Harbor, N.J.) and junior Andre Lee (Port Norris, N.J.) caught one apiece. Sophomore Jeff Ward (Absecon, N.J.) and freshman Issy Abdussamad (Egg Harbor, N.J.) added scoring runs for the Colonials.

Simpson's two TD passes in the second quarter went to sophomore Ryan Moone (Manchester, N.H./Central) and junior Harold Roy (East Boston, Mass.). The third-quarter touchdown went from Simpson to senior Jay Zinis (Manchester, N.H./West), but Simpson also finished the afternoon with three interceptions.

"Our kids played hard today," said PSC head coach Chris Rorke. "The score may not show it, but Western Conn. knows they were in a tough game. We really played our hearts out."

"We knew they'd been struggling with turnovers," said WCSU head coach John Burrell. "They (PSC) have had a lot of injuries and it's been tough on them. We know they're not an 0-4 calibre club. When Simpson was throwing the ball well, we had a tough time stopping them."

PSC hits the road for its next two games, beginning next Saturday at Kings Point (2 p.m.).