Edwards leads Panther offense; Defense causes five Spartan turnovers
CASTLETON, Vt. – Sophomore quarterback Zack Edwards (Brookfield, Mass.) threw for 157 yards and a touchdown, and junior Blair Zentek (Simsbury, Conn.) intercepted two passes and recovered a fumble Saturday afternoon as the Plymouth State University football team defeated Castleton University, 20-7, in a non-conference season opener for both schools at Spartan Stadium.
Spartan Stadium, Castleton, Vt. – Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016
Plymouth State 20, Castleton 7
Plymouth State 1-0; Castleton 0-1
* The PSU offense totaled 308 yards (157 passing, 151 rushing) while the defense limited Castleton to 182 yards (133 passing, 49 rushing).
* PSU took a 6-0 lead on its first possession, going 68 yards on nine plays, capped by a 1-yard TD run by sophomore Mitch Banuskevich (Milford, N.H.)
* Castleton took a 7-6 lead late in the first quarter when quarterback Nick Boles connected with Soren Pelz-Walsh on a 17-yard TD pass.
* PSU took the lead for good at 13-7 on its first possession of the third quarter when Edwards hit junior Chris Kelly (Belmont, Mass.) on a 37-yard scoring strike, capping an eight-play, 80-yard drive.
* The Panthers capped the scoring early in the fourth quarter when freshman David Hamilton (Westville, N.J.) scored from one yard out, and sophomore Jeff Madden (Wolfeboro, N.H.) booted his second straight extra point.
PSU STATS LEADERS
* Zentek also collected three tackles in addition to his two INTs and one fumble recovery.
* Senior DB RJ Ramsden (Florence, Mass.) made a team-high nine tackles.
* Edwards completed 14 of 22 passes for 157 yards and 1 TD (0 INT)
* Kelly caught four passes for 65 yards and one TD
* Hamilton rushed 16 times for 64 yards and one TD
* Banuskevich accumulated 101 yards from scrimmage, with 15 carries for 52 yards and a TD and three catches for 49 yards.
CASTLETON STATS LEADERS
* QB Nick Boles was 19-of-34 for 133 yards and 1 TD (3 INT)
* Soren Pelz-Walsh caught eight passes for 65 yards and one TD
* Jakob Trautwein made six solo tackles and Joe DeAlesandro make five solo stops.
Plymouth State vs. Mount Ida, Saturday, Sept. 10, Currier Field, 1:00 p.m. (Home opener)
-- 30 --