Edwards connects on three TD passes in OT; PSU 2-0 for first time since 2011
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore quarterback Zack Edwards (Brookfield, Mass.) threw for 231 yards and three touchdowns Saturday afternoon as Plymouth State University outlasted Mount Ida College, 30-28, in a non-conference football game at Currier Field.
Edwards hit freshman Jacob Szulc (Concord, N.H.) on TD passes in the first two overtimes, and connected with sophomore Brandonn Drumgole (Mt. Sinai, N.Y.) in the third extra session. The Panther defense denied the Mount Ida extra point in the third overtime to clinch the victory.
Plymouth State has won its first two games this season, its first 2-0 start since 2011. Mount Ida drops to 0-2.
Currier Field, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016
Plymouth State 30, Mount Ida 28 (3 OT)
Plymouth State 2-0; Mount Ida 0-2
* The game was tied at 9-9 at the end of regulation. PSU senior Tyler Mahoney (Dracut, Mass.) scored on a two-yard run in the first quarter, and Mount Ida junior Travis O'Brien (Portsmouth, R.I.) scored on a three-yard burst in the third quarter.
* Both teams kicked field goals in the fourth quarter, Mount Ida senior Tyler Rogers (Bridgewater, Mass.) connecting from 33 yards out in the first minute of the frame, and PSU sophomore Jeff Madden (Wolfeboro, N.H.) sending the game into overtime with a 36-yarder with 2:05 remaining in regulation.
* Edwards hit Szulc on a 25-yard score on PSU's first possession of OT, which was matched by a three-yard run by O'Brien. Both teams missed the extra point kick.
* Mount Ida sophomore QB Jack Sheehan (St. Petersburg, Fla.) threw a 12-yard TD pass to senior Matt Greenman (Portsmouth, R.I.) in the second extra session, but PSU matched it with a Edwards-to-Szulc pass from 22 yards out. Both teams converted their PAT kick in the second OT.
* Edwards connected with Drumgole from 10 yards out in the third overtime, and tacked on a two-point conversion on Mahoney's run. Sheehan tossed a 12-yard TD pass to junior Chris Medeiros (Pelham, N.H.) in Mount Ida's third overtime, but Sheehan's two-point conversion pass fell incomplete.
PSU STATS LEADERS
* Edwards finished 17-of-25 for 231 yards and three touchdowns (1 INT)
* Szulc caught eight passes for 122 yards and two TDs.
* Freshman David Hamilton (Westville, N.J.) was the team's leading rusher with 69 yards on 22 carries.
MOUNT IDA STATS LEADERS
* Sheehan was 14-of-27 for 134 yards and 2 TDs
* O'Brien ran for 102 yards and 2 TDs
* Greenman caught six passes for 47 yards and a touchdown
* Medeiros had a game-high 11 tackles, including 10 solo stops
* Plymouth State at Western Connecticut, Saturday, Sept. 17, Danbury, Conn., 12:00 p.m. (MASCAC opener)
* Mount Ida at Springfield, Saturday, Sept. 17, Springfield, Mass., 12:00 p.m.
-- 30 --