Zentek helps Panthers remain undefeated at 4-0
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Blair Zentek (Simsbury, Conn.) had two interceptions Saturday, one a 91-yard touchdown return, leading Plymouth State University past UMass-Dartmouth, 30-14, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference game at Currier Field.
Zentek's first pick thwarted a UMD scoring opportunity in the opening quarter when he wrestled the ball from a Corsair receiver in the end zone. His second interception came in the waning moments of the third quarter, extending the Panther lead to 23-14 and giving the home team much needed breathing room going into the final frame.
Plymouth State has now won its first four games of the season, its best start since 2007, and improves to 2-0 in the MASCAC. UMD falls to 2-2 and 1-1.
Currier Field, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016
Plymouth State 30, UMass-Dartmouth 14
Plymouth State 4-0, (2-0 MASCAC), UMD 2-2, (1-1 MASCAC)
*UMD tied the scoring on the ensuing possession. Senior Stephen Roy (Northboro, Mass) rumbled in from 10 yards out to give the Corsairs their first score of the afternoon.
*Edwards found freshman Jacob Szulc (Concord, NH) with an 18-yard scoring strike for the only points of the second quarter.
*The Corsairs tied the game, 14-14, early in the third quarter with a trick play when sophomore running back Matt Mitchell (Stonington, Conn) passed back to senior quarterback Cory Burnham (Essex, Mass), who then went 25 yards to pay dirt.
*PSU regained the lead on a Jeff Madden (Wolfeboro, NH) 35-yard field goal.
* Freshman David Hamilton (Westville, NJ) closed the scoring when he powered in from three yards out with just 23 seconds remaining.
PSU STATS LEADERS
* Edwards finished 11 of 15 for 99 yards and 2 TDs.
* Senior Tyler Mahoney (Dracut, Mass) led PSU in rushing with 69 yards on seven carries, including one 55-yard run.
* Hamilton added 64 yards on 15 carries with a touchdown.
* Szulc hauled in five passes for 38 yards and a score.
* Freshman Matt Shea (Windham, NH) had eight solo tackles to lead the defense.
UMD STATS LEADERS
* Roy rushed for 103 yards on 22 carries.
* Burnham completed 10 of 20 passes for 125 yards.
* Senior Abbi Bomgbose (Worcester, Mas) caught five passes for 59 yards.
* Senior David Collins (Mansfield, Mass) led the UMD defense with eight solo tackles, including one tackle for loss.
* Plymouth State at Westfield State, Saturday, October 1, Westfield, Mass., 2:00 p.m. (MASCAC contest)
* UMass-Dartmouth hosts Framingham State, October 1, North Dartmouth, Mass. 5:00 p.m.
-- 30 --