Panthers suffer first loss of season after 4-0 start
WESTFIELD, Mass. – Westfield State University scored a touchdown and kicked an extra point on its first possession of overtime Saturday afternoon to defeat Plymouth State University, 14-13, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) football game at Currier Field.
Tied at 7-7 after four quarters, PSU took the lead in the first overtime on a three-year touchdown run by sophomore Mitch Banuskevich (Milford, N.H.), but missed the extra point kick attempt. The Owls then scored on a one-yard rush by Phil Cohen, and won the game on a PAT conversion by kicker Norman Carroll.
Plymouth State suffered its first loss of the season, dropping to 4-1 overall and 2-1 in the MASCAC. Westfield State is now 2-2 overall and 1-1 in conference play.
Alumni Field, Westfield, Mass. – Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016
Westfield State 14, Plymouth State 13
Plymouth State 4-1, (2-1 MASCAC), WSU 2-2, (1-1 MASCAC)
* Westfield tied the score with 13 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter on a 52-yard TD pass from Cohen to Evan Garvey.
* Neither offense could generate much, as Westfield gained just 215 yards in the game and PSU 154.
* PSU played overtime for the second time this season, and the fourth time in the past calendar year. The Panthers went to OT against Westfield State (W) and Worcester State (L) last year, and Mount Ida (W) earlier this year. PSU is 3-5 in eight career overtime games, dating back to 2009.
PSU STATS LEADERS
* Ziemba led the Panther defense with 12 tackles (nine solo), an interception, and the blocked kick.
* Sophomore Zack Edwards (Brookfield, Mass) completed 11 of 19 passes for 88 yards.
* Freshman David Hamilton (Westville, NJ) was the team's leading rusher with 37 yards on 13 carries.
WSU STATS LEADERS
* Zach Howard recorded a game-high 14 tackles, including 10 solo stops.
* Shawn Grant chipped in with 11 tackles (three solo).
* Cohen completed 8-of-12 passes for 92 yards and one TD.
* Travon Holder rushed for 41 yards on 18 attempts.
* Plymouth State is idle next Saturday, Oct. 8; the Panthers will travel to Bridgewater State, Saturday, Oct. 15, 4:00 p.m. (MASCAC contest)
-- 30 --