Late field goal lifts Lancers over Panthers
WORCESTER, Mass. – Sophomore kicker Noah Hwang (Brooklyn, N.Y.) booted a 33-yard field goal with 3:50 remaining Saturday afternoon to lift Worcester State University to a 13-10 victory over Plymouth State University in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) football game at Coughlin Field.
The Panthers had a chance to tie the game and send it into overtime, but a 39-yard field goal with 34 seconds remaining went wide right. PSU has already played three overtime games this season.
Plymouth State drops back to the .500 mark at 4-4 overall, while Worcester State is now 2-6. Both teams are 2-4 in MASCAC play.
Coughlin Field, Worcester, Mass. – Saturday, Oct. 29, 2016
Worcester State 13, Plymouth State 10
Plymouth State 4-4 (2-4 MASCAC); Worcester State (2-6, 2-4 MASCAC)
* After a scoreless first quarter, the home team got on the scoreboard first on a 29-yard field goal by Hwang with 4:21 remaining in the second quarter.
* PSU tied the score at 3-3 on the final play of the first half as sophomore Jeff Madden (Wolfeboro, N.H.) connected on a 36-yard field goal for the Panthers. PSU's score was set up by an interception and 44-yard return by freshman Prince Gbaley (Manchester, N.H./West).
* Neither team was able to put any points up in the third quarter. Worcester State scored the first touchdown of the day early in the fourth when sophomore Theo Bryant (Lowell, Mass.) blocked a punt and returned 23 yards by Mike Reed (Feeding Hills, Mass.) for a TD.
* PSU pulled even less than four minutes later on the next possession when sophomore Mitch Banuskevich (Milford, N.H.) barreled into the end zone on a 36-yard run, and Madden booted the extra point to tie it up at 10-10 with 10:14 on the clock.
* Senior Zach Ziemba (Manchester, N.H./Central) stopped a Lancer drive with less than eight minutes remaining with an interception at his own nine yard line.
* A punting miscue by PSU gave the Lancers the ball deep in PSU territory, leading to the go-ahead field goal with 3:50 remaining. The Panthers went 38 yards on eight plays on their final drive but their field goal attempt in the final minute from 39 yards missed wide right.
PSU STATS LEADERS
* Banuskevich rushed 15 times for 98 yards (6.5 avg.) and one TD, and caught one pass for 16 yards.
* Freshman WR Jacob Szulc (Concord, N.H.) caught six passes for 45 yards.
* Ziemba led the team with five solo tackles and 10 total stops, along with an INT and a forced fumble.
WSU STATS LEADERS
* QB Mike Kadlick completed 24 of 27 passes for 241 yards (0 TD, 3 INT).
* Arron Witkus caught eight passes for 83 yards.
* Mike Holder collected 12 tackles (2 solo) and a half sack.
* The Panthers play their final two games at home on Currier Field, next Saturday, Nov. 5, vs. Massachusetts Maritime and the following Saturday, Nov. 12, against Fitchburg State.
-- 30 --