Banuskevich leads Panthers to MASCAC victory
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Mitch Banuskevich (Milford, N.H.) rushed for 167 yards and he caught a touchdown pass Saturday to lead Plymouth State University past Massachusetts Maritime, 28-7, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) football game at Currier Field.
Plymouth State scored 28 unanswered points before Mass Maritime could get on the board. The Panthers used an effective ground game, keeping the ball for over 36 minutes in this contest. Sophomore quarterback Zack Edwards (Brookfield, Mass.) had a solid afternoon, completing 10 of 16 passes for 133 yards and two touchdowns.
PSU, which broke a four-game losing streak, improves to 5-4 overall and 3-4 in the MASCAC. Mass Maritime falls to 4-5 and 3-4.
Currier Field, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016
Plymouth State 28 Mass Maritime 7
Plymouth State 5-4, (3-4 MASCAC), Mass Maritime 4-5, (3-4 MASCAC)
*Plymouth State scored its first points late in the first quarter when Edwards found freshman Jacob Szulc (Concord, N.H.) with a 48-yard scoring strike down the right sideline.
*Edwards found Banuskevich just before the intermission from 13 yards out to give the home squad a 14-0 lead at the break.
*Senior Tyler Mahoney (Dracut, Mass.) added some insurance in the third quarter when he rumbled in from a yard out.
*Freshman Prince Gbaley (Manchester, N.H.) put the game away with a scintillating 60-yard interception return for a score, just a minute after Mahoney's touchdown run.
*Mass Maritime finally found pay dirt in the middle of the fourth quarter after freshman quarterback Ty Ebdon (Gales Ferry, Conn.) found senior Kenny Pierce (Beverly, Mass.) from 16 yards out.
PSU STATS LEADERS
* Banuskevich rushed for 167 yards on 29 carries, both career highs. He also caught two passes, including a touchdown.
* Edwards was 10 of 16 for 133 yards and two touchdowns.
* Senior Zach Ziemba (Manchester, N.H.) had seven tackles and a fumble recovery to lead the Panther defense.
* Sophomore Jeff Madden (Wolfboro, N.H.) was 4-4 on PAT's.
UMD STATS LEADERS
*Senior Shane Haggerty (Cohasset, Mass.) rushed for 41 yards on just five carries. He also caught seven passes for 71 yards and is now holds the school record for most receptions in a season.
*Pierce caught 10 passes for 65 yards.
* Ebdon completed 11 of 18 passes for 111 yards and a touchdown, all in the fourth quarter.
* Senior Marshall McCarthy (Duxbury, Mass.) had 10 tackles to lead the Buccaneers on defense.
* Plymouth State hosts Fitchburg State, Saturday, November 12, Currier Field, 12:00 p.m. (MASCAC contest)
* Mass Maritime at Bridgewater State, Saturday, November 12, Bridgewater, Mass. 12:00 p.m.
-- 30 --