Panthers finish with best record since 2010
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman defensive back Prince Gbaley (Manchester, N.H./West) had two interceptions Saturday, one for a 50-yard touchdown return, to lead Plymouth State University past Fitchburg State University, 23-6, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference football game at Currier Field.
Gbaley, who also had a pick-six a week ago, added had a fumble recovery, blocked kick, three pass break-ups and a tackle for loss to help hold FSU to just 111 total offensive yards. The Panther defense only allowed 18 yards on the ground while causing eight Falcon turnovers, four fumbles and four interceptions.
Plymouth State, which finished with a 6-4 record overall and 4-4 in the MASCAC, has its first winning season since 2010 (also 6-4). Fitchburg State finishes at 5-5 overall and 3-5.
Currier Field, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, November 12, 2016
Plymouth State 23, Fitchburg State 6
Plymouth State 6-4, (4-4 MASCAC), Fitchburg State 5-5, (3-5 MASCAC)
* The Panthers got a team safety late in the first quarter, after Gbaley blocked a punt.
* Fitchburg got on the board just before the half when freshman quarterback Conner Fitzsimmons (Flushing, N.Y.) finished a 10-play drive, finding junior Jesse Lastra (Ft. Meyers, Fla.) with a three-yard scoring strike. The PAT was blocked by PSU sophomore Brady LaFrance (West Paris, Maine).
*PSU scored early in the third quarter, after Edwards hit sophomore Brandonn Drumgole (Mt. Sinai, N.Y.) with an 11-yard pass. That score was set up when sophomore Stephen Cockey (Hanover, Mass.) recovered a Fitchburg fumble at the eleven yard line.
*Gbaley added insurance with his 50-yard interception return late in the final frame.
*Sophomore Jeff Madden (Wolfeboro, N.H.) was 3-3 with the PAT's.
PSU STATS LEADERS
* Edwards finished 7 of 19 for 77 yards and two touchdowns
* Banuskevich had 46 rushing yards and 57 receiving yards.
* LaFrance led PSU with 10 tackles
* Junior Joe Esposito (Hackettstown, N.J.) added eight tackles, a sack (loss of eight yards), to forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.
* Sophomore Cam McGhee (Winchester, Mass.) had four tackles, two sacks and two tackles for loss
* Senior Zach Ziemba (Manchester, N.H.) intercepted two passes with 38 return yards.
FSU STATS LEADERS
* Fitzsimmons completed 19 of 42 passes for 93 yards and a touchdown.
* Senior Taylor Elkstrom (Tiverton, R.I.) had six receptions.
* Senior Mamour Samb (Pawtucket, R.I.) had 12 solo tackles, two sacks and four tackles for loss to lead the FSU defense.
* Sophomore Cyrick Watford (Meriden, Conn.) added six tackles, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.
-- 30 --