Martin's late field goal lifts Panthers to win
WESTFIELD, Mass. – Sophomore Jeremy Martin (Charlton, Mass.) connected on a 26-yard field goal with nine seconds left in the game to lift Plymouth State University to a 10-7 win over Westfield State University in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) football game at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
The Panthers scored on their first and final drives of the game, which proved to be enough as the two teams clashed in the pouring rain and wind of the Nor'easter that battered much of New England.
Plymouth State improves to 5-3 with the win and 4-3 in the MASCAC, while Westfield is now 4-5 overall and 3-4 in the conference.
Plymouth State 10, Westfield State 7
Plymouth State 5-3, 4-3 MASCAC
Westfield State 4-5, 3-4 MASCAC
How it Happened:
* On its opening drive the Panthers marched 80 yards on 12 plays, capped by senior Zack Edwards (Brookfield, Mass.) 6-yard pass that found junior Jacob Szulc (Concord, N.H.) just inside the goal line. Martin's extra point gave the Panthers a 7-0 lead.
* Westfield answered with 4:07 left in the first half as the Owls marched the ball 87 yards on 16 plays, capped by a 1-yard touchdown plunge from Travon Holder (Hartford, Conn.). PSU stopped Holder on first and goal from the three, and on successive tries from the 1-yard line, before he plunged in on fourth down.
* In the second half, the Owls marched the ball deep into Plymouth territory to see one drive foiled at the Panthers' 13 by a fumble, another stall on fourth down at the Plymouth 30, and a short field goal try missed at the PSU seven. A fourth drive ended at the Plymouth 20 after yet another fumble.
* With 3:36 to play in the fourth quarter and the ball at their own 8-yard line, the Panthers had their final drive extended by a roughing the kicker, and finally set themselves up in scoring position when Edwards launched a 42-yard bomb to sophomore Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) that gave the Panthers first and 10 at the Owls' 20 yard line with a minute to play.
Inside the Numbers:
* Westfield outgained the Panthers 323 to 197 yard in the game. With the sloppy conditions, both teams were plagued by fumbles. PSU fumbled six times, losing the ball twice, while the Owls had seven fumbles and lost three.
* Junior David Hamilton (West Deptford, N.J.) carried the ball 18 times for 99 yards, while doing most of his damage on the initial drive.
* Edwards finished 5-of-14 passing for 84 yards.
* The Panthers return to Currier Field on Saturday (Nov. 3) for a noon contest with MASCAC foe Fitchburg State.
* Westfield State has its bye week next week and will play its final game of the 2018 campaign at WestConn the following Saturday (Nov. 10).
– 30 –