Header Background

Framingham State stops PSU Field Hockey’s nine-game win streak

PLYMOUTH, N.H. - Sophomore Meghan Staffiere (Norwood, Mass.) broke a scoreless tie with just 2:41 remaining in the game Saturday afternoon at Arold Field to give Framingham State College a 1-0 upset victory over Plymouth State University in the Little East Conference field hockey regular season finale for both schools.

The outcome snapped PSU's nine-game winning streak as the Panthers complete the regular season at 12-4 overall and 9-2 in the LEC. The Rams improve to 9-7 overall and 7-4 in conference play.

Plymouth State has earned at least a share of the LEC regular season title and the top seed in next week's LEC Tournament. (Keene State can tie PSU for the regular season title with a win Sunday in a make-up game against Westfield State.) PSU receives a first-round bye in the LEC Tournament, while Framingham State has clinched at least a share of fourth place, and awaits the results of Westfield State's final two LEC games.

Staffiere netted the only goal of the game with time winding down, picking up a loose ball inside the circle, dribbling to her right and firing a shot into the right side of the goal. It was her fifth goal of the season and her second game-winner.

The defense stood out in the game, with both teams held scoreless over the first 67 minutes. Seniors Kara Parent (Hampton, N.H.) and Morgan Butters (Stow, Maine), junior Laurie Allinson (Berwick, Maine) and sophomore Katie Barany (Middlesex, Vt.) anchored the Panther defense. Parent helped keep the Rams off the board, twice making defensive saves by clearing the ball off the goal line. Framingham State got solid defensive efforts from seniors Laura Hamburg (Uxbridge, Mass.) and Sarah Ledbetter (Westboro, Mass.) and freshmen Hayley Burns (West Springfield, Mass.) and Allison Piatelli (Attleboro, Mass.)

FSC junior goalie Lindsay McKearney (North Attleboro, Mass.) recorded 11 saves to earn her third shutout of the season. PSU sophomore goalie Leah Curtin (Londonderry, N.H.) finished with eight saves.

-- 30 --