PSU Field Hockey blanks WestConn in LEC First Round

Garvey leads Panthers with three goals

            PLYMOUTH, N.H.– Freshman Nikki Garvey scored three goals Wednesday afternoon at Arold Field to lead second-seed Plymouth State University to a 5-0 victory over seventh-seed Western Connecticut State University in a first-round game of the Little East Conference Field Hockey Tournament.

            Garvey scored two goals in the first half to give the Panthers a 2-0 lead at the break.  She tallied her third goal 30 seconds into the second half as PSU pulled away.  Plymouth State improves to 16-2 this season, while WestConn completes its season at 10-7.

            The Panthers advance in the LEC tourney and will host a semifinal game Friday at 2:00 p.m. at Arold Field against third-seeded UMass Dartmouth; the Corsairs (10-9) advanced Wednesday with a 4-1 win over sixth-seeded Worcester State University.

            The Panther defense limited WestConn to just three shots on goal, and junior goalie Hilary Lemelin stopped all three chances as PSU posted its eighth shutout of the year.

            Garvey put PSU on the board midway through the first half when she was awarded a penalty stroke, and rifled the ball into the left side of the net for a 1-0 lead.  She made it 2-0 seven minutes later when she knocked in a rebound, and it was a two-goal game at the break.

            Garvey completed the hat trick to open the second half, giving her 11 goals on the season, third-most on the team. Sophomore Jackie Morin added her team-leading 16th goal of the season just five minutes later, and freshman Hannah Powers rounded out the scoring with five minutes to play, with a nice assist from sophomore Lauren Carroll.

            PSU finished with a 22-3 advantage in shots and a 9-3 margin in penalty corners. WestConn freshman goalie Alyssa Picariello made eight saves before coming out of the game with five minutes remaining.

            Plymouth State defeated its semifinal opponent UMass Dartmouth in the regular season finale last Saturday at Arold Field, 4-3. 

-- 30 –-