Martin tallied goal and assist to lead Panthers
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Plymouth State University field hockey team opened the season with a 4-2 loss at Springfield College Sunday afternoon at Stagg Field. Junior Katie Martin (Waterbury Center, Vt.) led the Panthers with a part in both goals in the setback, scoring the first and assisting on the second.
The score was tied 1-1 at halftime and 2-2 with 12 minutes remaining before the Pride pulled out the win with two goals down the stretch.
Stagg Field, Springfield, Mass. – Sunday, Sept. 4, 2016
Springfield 4, Plymouth State 2
PSU 0-1; SPR 2-0
* PSU had a 7-2 advantage in shots in the first half, and Springfield had a 10-6 margin in the second half.
* Springfield junior forward Maggie Kennedy (Clay, N.Y.) tallied a game-high five points on two goals and one assist.
* The score was tied 1-1 at halftime on unassisted goals midway through the half by Springfield's Amanda Nusbaum (Conway, N.H.) and PSU's Martin. The teams traded goals to start the second half, freshman Taylor Conley (Yarmouth Port, Mass.) giving the Pride a lead at 46:50, and Martin setting up senior Nicole Burgess (Mexico, Maine) to even the score at 2-2 with 12 minutes remaining.
* Kennedy scored the final two goals for Springfield , the game-winner coming at 61:11 and the insurance marker at 66:30.
* Springfield goalkeeper Emmalie Drake (Pittsford, N.Y.) made eight saves on the day, while her counterpart, Dom Tarr (Antrim, N.H.) posted two saves in the loss.
Plymouth State at Fitchburg State, Wednesday, Sept. 7, 7:00 p.m.
-- 30 --