Martin tallied three goals and two assists to lead Panthers
CASTLETON, VT. – The Plymouth State University field hockey team defeated Castleton University for the second straight shutout of the season at Spartan Stadium. Junior Katie Martin (Waterbury Center, Vt.) led the Panthers with three goals and two assists.
The Panthers led 6-0 at halftime and finished with an 8-0 win.
Spartan Stadium, Castleton, VT. – Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2016
Plymouth State 8, Castleton University 0
PSU 2-2 (1-1 LEC); CAS 2-3 (0-0)
- Plymouth State jumped out to an early 3-0 lead that the Spartans could never recover from. Katie Martin, Senior Nicole Burgess (Mexico, ME), and Freshman Kate McPherson (Conway, NH) tallied goals within the first 16 minutes of play to give the Panthers the advantage. Martin tallied two more goals in the final 15 minutes of the first half to tally a hat trick and help give the Panthers a 6-0 lead at the break.
- After posting four shots on goal in the game's first 35 minutes, the Spartans came out stronger in the second half with more possession and shots on goal. Sarah Wells tallied five of the team's ten shots in the second half.
- Strong defense from the Panthers kept the Spartans in check for the afternoon with the best offensive opportunity coming at the 21-minute mark of the second half when Wells and Cydney Jeffrey pierced through the Panthers defense for a two-on-one into the goal. The pass from Wells, however, was deflected in front of the goal and quickly cleared by the Panthers defender to end the threat.
- While the Spartans were putting pressure on late in the second half, Haley Spittle was awarded a penalty stroke after causing havoc in front of the cage with 12:36 remaining. Spittle's non-contested shot came off the ground and shifted the goalkeeper Sophomore Dom Tarr (Antrim, NH) to her right for a strong save to keep the shutout in tact.
- Despite tallying ten shots in the second half, Castleton was kept off the board while the Panthers notched two more goals en route to the 8-0 win.
- Plymouth led with 27 shots on goal, to the Spartans 11.
Plymouth State at Bridgewater State, Saturday, Sept. 17, 1:00 p.m.
-- 30 --